Staying Connected... for Free
- 34 percent say free Wi-Fi is the number one factor in choosing a hotel even on leisure stays.
- 56 percent of respondents said free Wi-Fi was their number one must-have when traveling for business.
- 66 percent indicated free Wi-Fi is the amenity they most wish would become standard at all hotels in 2013.
The global reliance on free Wi-Fi mirrors results of the 2012 Hotels.com Amenities Survey of North American travelers, though the percentage of travelers wishing for complimentary Wi-Fi to become standard has more than doubled.
"With an increase in airlines and airports offering free Wi-Fi, tech-savvy travelers expect the experience to continue upon arrival at their hotel," said Taylor L. Cole, APR, travel expert for Hotels.com. "They are using their tablets, smart phones and laptops to plan activities, stay connected to family and even order a delivery meal straight to their hotel room, so it's no surprise they require free and fast Wi-Fi."
The Perk of New Technology – Favorite "Modern" In-Room Amenity
- Technological creature comforts of home are also high on the priority list for travelers with 23 percent choosing high-end coffee makers as their top modern in hotel room amenity.
It's the Little Things that Count – Most Appreciated Simple Amenity
- Keeping hydrated when travelling is important to hotel guests with 43 percent choosing complimentary bottled water as the most appreciated simple amenity.
The Way to Hotel Guests' Hearts – Through Their Stomachs!
- Free breakfast ranked as the favorite (31 percent) non-tech item global travelers want to see become standard at all hotels in 2013.
- Happy hours, wine tastings or any other time with free food and drinks is 42 percent of global travelers' favorite newly offered hotel service amenity, with international breakfast options coming in second (19 percent).
- Travelers cite unlimited free food and beverages as their most (23 percent) missed comfort from home when travelling. Another 14 percent said they miss access to cooking in their kitchen the most.
Five-Star Life – The Highs and Lows of Luxury Perks
- 26 percent say their favorite amenity while staying at a luxury hotel is the high end fitness center and/or spa, while designer toiletries also rank highly (21 percent).
- While travelers enjoy their time living the highlife, the promotion of bath menus/bath butlers (26 percent) and turn down service (24 percent) as amenities simply aren't of interest according to survey respondents.
- More than half of respondents (54 percent) chose the complimentary use of a Rolls Royce Phantom as the "outrageous" luxury hotel amenity they'd most like to experience. No real surprise there!