Each theme will reflect the region in which the ship is sailing. Demonstrations take place either in the restaurants or on the teak decks of all three ships, the 227-passenger flagship Royal Clipper and the 170-passenger sister ships, Star Clipper and Star Flyer.
Food themes on Royal Clipper
- May 18: Chef Matthias Diether and sommelier Gunnar Thietz, both from First Floor Palace, one of Berlin’s finest gourmet restaurants, will give talks and demonstrations on the theme of ‘Wine and Chocolate’ on a seven-night sailing from Marseille to Civitavecchia.
- June 8: German celebrity Chef Christian Loisl (pictured left) will offer cookery demonstrations in conjunction with the Champagne house Cattier, assisted by a top sommelier, sailing round-trip from Rome via Ponza, Sorrento, Taormina and Stromboli.
- May 18: Marc Fosh, from Simply Fosh in Mallorca, will give demonstrations with a theme of herbs and perfumes on a five-night cruise from Monaco to Rome.
- May 23: Chef Jorg Nocker, from the Elb Lounge in Hamburg, assisted by sommelier Lidwina Weh, will talk on ‘Lemons, Capers and Olives’ on a nine-night voyage from Rome to Athens.
- October 5: Journalist Dagmar von Cramm from Cicero magazine and award-winning sommelier Arno Steguweit will discuss Mediterranean cuisine on a nine-night Athens to Rome voyage.
- October 14: Mama Lazzari, head chef at La Casa Lazzari in Lazio, will demonstrate Ligurian specialities on a five-night Rome to Monaco voyage.
- October 19: Chef Volker Drkosch from the Michelin-starred Victorian Restaurant in Dusseldorf shows how to cook with olives and olive oil on a seven-night Monaco to Barcelona sailing.
- May 5: The cookery demonstrations take on a Baltic theme on Star Flyer’s summer sailings. Chefs Timo Bobzin and Holgar Voelsch from Hamburg’s Pluto restaurant, with sommelier Thorsen Kuhler, demonstrate the art of making soused herrings on a four-night voyage from Amsterdam to Hamburg.
- May 19: Chef Martina Kompel from the Lucas Carton restaurant in Paris, with sommelier Axel Biesler, will give talks and demonstrations on making German ‘tapas’ and gourmet open sandwiches on a sailing from Travemunde to Stockholm.
- May 25: Learn about Smorebrod, or smorgasbord, with chef Stephan Bernard from Le Jardin de France and award-winning sommelier Nathalie Lumpp on a 10-night sailing round-trip Stockholm.
- July 27: Study the art of knife-sharpening and learn how to make sushi under the guidance of Dresden chef Sebastian Bartsch, sailing on a seven-night Stockholm to Travemunde voyage.
- August 18: Chef Christian Loisl and Champagne Cattier’s sommelier, Philippe Bienvenu will talk about Champagne on a seven-night Travemunde to Hamburg sailing.
- August 28: Chefs Timo Bobzin and Holgar Voelsch from Hamburg’s Pluto restaurant will be back on board to discuss and demonstrate the appreciation of wine and chocolate on a ten-night Ostend to Lisbon sailing.