PENNINGTON, N.J. - Cruise Critic, has released its 2013 Editors' Picks Awards, naming the best cruise lines, ships and ports for 2013. Cruise lines are awarded in 18 categories, by Cruise Critic's international team of editors.
"Over the past year, our editors have covered every major ocean and river cruise line in the world - around 75 cruise lines, representing more than 400 ships," explains Carolyn Spencer Brown, editor-in-chief of Cruise Critic. "Choosing the best out of that list is always a tough task; there are so many fantastic offerings available, and lines are constantly improving their products. Taking all of this into account, this list represents the ships and lines that we feel have gone above and beyond this year."
Norwegian Breakaway, Norwegian Cruise Line's New York-themed ship, was named Best New Ship, after debuting in April 2013. The ship was lauded for its state-of-the-art sports complex and variety of dining options - including waterfront venues and celebrity chef Geoffrey Zakarian's new restaurant, Ocean Blue.
For the third year in a row, Royal Caribbean Cruise Line won Best Entertainment for its impressive entertainment options across its entire fleet – including Broadway performances like "Hairspray" and "Chicago," ice skating productions and aerial shows.
Disney Cruise Line won in two categories - Best for Families and Best Shore Excursions - for its creative programming for all ages, such as family archeological digs in Athens and cigar rolling in Nassau. Azamara Club Cruises won Best Value-for-Money for its inclusive offerings, and Oceania Cruises won Best Dining for the second consecutive year. Also winning in back-to-back years is Viking Cruises, which has been named the Best River Cruise Line for the past two years.
The winners of the 2013 Cruise Critic Editors' Picks Awards include:
- Best New Ship: Norwegian Breakaway
- Best Ship Refurbishment: Carnival Sunshine
- Best for Luxury: Regent Seven Seas Cruises
- Best for Families: Disney Cruise Line
- Best Itineraries: Princess Cruises
- Best for Adventure: Lindblad Expeditions
- Best Value-for-Money: Azamara Club Cruises
- Best Dining: Oceania Cruises
- Best Entertainment: Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
- Best Suites: Oceania Cruises
- Best Inside Cabins: Norwegian Cruise Line
- Best Standard Cabins: Celebrity Cruises
- Best Shore Excursions: Disney Cruise Line
- Best for Honeymoons: Windstar Cruises
- Best Cruise Ship Bar: Martini Bar, Celebrity Cruises
- Best North American Homeport: Vancouver
- Best New River Ship: AmaPrima, AmaWaterways
- Best River Cruise Line: Viking Cruises.