Here is a guide for packing for a warm-weather weekend getaway that won’t weigh you down.
You have the chance to spend a weekend at the beach, and don’t want to be burdened with major packing choices or luggage. No problem. Here is a guide for packing for a warm-weather weekend getaway that won’t weigh you down. You will need a beach bag tote, a carry-on-sized suitcase, and a small toilet bag.
Into your carry-on goes your clothing, toilet bag, and chargers. Since you are trying to make decisions without actually being there, the best advice is don’t overthink it. Shoes are heavy, so a pair of flip-flops and a pair of dressy sandals are all you need at the beach. If you plan to walk in the mountains or across the Yucatan Peninsula, you’ll need good hiking shoes, but avoid heavy footwear unless absolutely necessary.
The same goes for clothes. Just pack the minimum clothing you will need and avoid overthinking it. If the best looking parts of your wardrobe happen to be a series of light and breezy brightly patterned plus size work dresses, don’t hesitate to bring them along. Who cares if they’re meant for work if they look great? If you plan to go clubbing, you will need the proverbial black dress or some slacks and a top that are suitable for an evening out.
• Two swimwear options so one is always dry
• A tunic or top to wear over your suit
• Two tops for daytime and two for nighttime
• One pair each of shorts, slacks, and jeans
• A sweater or hoodie
• Underwear, the amount is up to you
Toiletries are very personal. For example, toothbrush and toothpaste are a given, but do you really need a razor? If you shave before you go, it should get you through a weekend, unless you can’t stand stubble on your legs or underarms and need to shave every day. The same can be said for anti aging cream and other products used at home. Deciding whether or not to bring them is ultimately up to the individual.
You will need shampoo and conditioner, but most hotels provide free toiletries in the bathroom and this should be enough. However, bring your own if you must.
Remember to pack:
• Medications, maybe
• Hairbrush, comb, and clips
• Makeup is a personal choice, but best to bring lipstick and mascara
• Feminine hygiene products, maybe
• Wet wipes are useful for cleaning your hands on the go.
• Clean plastic bag for wet stuff
Into the beach bag goes everything you want with you on the sand. Nothing worse than settling in for a lovely day at the beach, stretching out on your towel, only to realize you forgot something in your room. In no particular order here are the items for your beach bag:
• Sunscreen with at least SPF 30
• Sunglasses that block all UV rays
• A wide-brimmed hat
• Reading material if you think you will actually look at it
• Any electronics you want with you like a phone, camera or iPod
• Beach towel, of course, although some hotels provide these
• Chips or chocolate in case you get the munchies before lunch
This is a list for someone who is looking for the minimum packing for a warm-weather weekend getaway. You can always add more, but once you get there you may wish you hadn’t. If you are going by car, you can take a cooler for the beach, your hotel should provide ice, and a case of water that you can buy cheaply at home but will cost a bundle if you buy it at the beach.
Don’t waste your time at the beach thinking about what you will wear. Remember sunscreen and have a great time.