The start and end of the winter/Christmas holiday break will be pushed back by two days, resulting in 40% fewer students on break during the week before Christmas and 30% more students on break during the first week of January.
HENDERSONVILLE, TENNESSEE – STR’s 2016-17 School Break Report shows two significant school holiday shifts and a wide variance in overall U.S. school calendars.
“It is important for hoteliers to understand how even a one- or two-day change in the start or end date of a school break can impact an entire week of demand,” said Chris Klauda, STR’s director of destination research. “We will see several important shifts this year, such as a more fragmented spring break, and it is critical to identify the specific break patterns of the markets feeding hotel business.”
Key findings from the 2016-17 School Break Report include:
- The start and end of the winter/Christmas holiday break will be pushed back by two days, resulting in 40% fewer students on break during the week before Christmas and 30% more students on break during the first week of January.
- The Easter calendar shift from 27 March 2016 to 16 April 2017 will result in a more drawn-out spring break season with some schools off in March and others in April.
- The Presidents’ Day break, which primarily affects public school districts, will be one week later compared to last year.
- The start of the public school year ranges seven weeks from 18 July to 8 September.
- Public school end dates range almost eight weeks from 4 May 2017 to 28 June 2017.
- College/university calendars show later start dates compared with public school districts. Classes begin as early as 1 August and as late as 29 September.
- The college/university window of end dates begins more than a week earlier than public school districts, ranging from 23 April 2017 to 17 June 2017.
- Public school districts and colleges/universities each have a 55-day range in end dates.
“Combining 2017 public school end dates and estimated 2017 public school start dates yields only three weeks (29 June-17 July) with all traditional school districts on summer vacation,” Klauda said.
The School Break Report, a forward-looking tool used to plan for vacation hotel demand, includes information for more than 1,000 public school districts and 500 four-year universities in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
Tatiana is the news coordinator for TravelDailyNews Media Network (traveldailynews.gr, traveldailynews.com and traveldailynews.asia). Her role includes monitoring the hundreds of news sources of TravelDailyNews Media Network and skimming the most important according to our strategy.
She holds a Bachelor's degree in Communication & Mass Media from Panteion University of Political & Social Studies of Athens and she has been editor and editor-in-chief in various economic magazines and newspapers.