SEATTLE – The Adventure Travel Trade Association unveiled a new, progressive travel advisor membership program meant to attract professionals specializing in selling adventure travel destinations and activities to further strengthen the global adventure tourism network.
Adventure travel advisors may now secure annual, fee-based individual memberships to access benefits that include special familiarization trip invitations, destination training, facilitated partnerships, sales leads and consumer access on adventure.travel. More than thirty travel advisors (also known as travel agents or specialists) are already activeATTA members within the network of more than 900 adventure travel organizations which include tour operators, destinations tourism boards and marketing organizations, outdoor industry brands, and association partners.
ATTA President Mr. Shannon Stowell said, “For years, we’ve looked to support and reach out to travel advisors specializing in adventure travel. Now, with our dedicated membership program, we plan to more readily integrate these travel advisors into the adventure tourism supply chain, to offer specialized training and to connect them with partners that will bring more adventure travel offerings to consumers. Travel advisors have the power to influence buying behavior with their traveler relationships and this is precisely what we wish to cultivate within our network.”
In addition to offering advisor-oriented content within the ATTA’s Webinar and annual Adventure Travel World Summit programs throughout the years, the first annual Adventure Travel Mexico (ATMEX), an event backed by the ATTA, last year began an expansion of interest by travel advisors in the ATTA and by the ATTA for travel advisors.
Susan Kelly from Luxury Adventure Trips, an affiliate of Travel Experts said, "When I first joined ATTA, there were only a few travel advisor members and that didn't concern me in the slightest. I recognized right away that this was my tribe. As the adventure travel industry has grown, there are more travel advisors who are embracing their passion to sell this type of travel and ATTA has set the standards for agents and operators alike to create experiences that are safe and enriching for all travelers. ‘Learn, partner, grow’ is the ATTA's tag line and that's what this organization is about.”
The ATTA invites travel advisors selling packaged or custom trips to fill out a travel advisor application form. Memberships are held by individual advisors to recognize the unique business solutions each travel advisor offers to their travelers. ATTA Travel Advisor Membership costs $150 per advisor and requires an accreditation number issued from an accredited organizations such as IATA, ARC, TRUE and CLIA for approval. Benefits include, among others:
- Travel advisor page listing and traveler inquiry form on adventure.travel, a consumer facing adventure portal for ATTA member tour operators
- Special invitations to events and familiarization (FAM) trips such as ATTA’s upcoming Adventure Travel Mexico (ATMEX) event and Mexico FAMs in August andAdventureWeek Chile in September
- Educational webinars on destinations, marketing, PR and adventure travel offerings
- Opportunity to become destination specialists and partner with destinations on co-marketing projects
- Journalist alerts with opportunities to feature an advisor’s travel specialty or to showcase an advisor’s expertise
- Discounts on outdoor gear and apparel, financial services, loyalty programs, events and more.