The survey by TheVacationer.com included 583 American adults over the age of 18 and was conducted online using SurveyMonkey's interface on our behalf on May 17, 2020. Here are a few of the more interesting findings:
When would you feel comfortable traveling again regardless if you intend to or not?
Right Now - 19.04%
- 3 to 6 Months - 38.77%
- In 1 Year - 18.01%
- In 1 to 2 or More Years - 7.38%
- Not Until There’s a Vaccine or Cure for COVID-19 - 16.81%
Key Takeaway - Nearly 58% of people would be comfortable traveling in the next 6 months.
If the COVID-19 pandemic never happened, when would your next vacation have been scheduled?
- May 2020 - August 2020 - 59.86%
- September 2020 – December 2020 - 18.35%
- January 2021 - April 2021 - 6.17%
- May 2021 - August 2021 - 6.86%
- September 2021 - December 2021 - 4.12%
- January 2022 or Later - 4.63%
Key takeaway - Almost 60% of people had a vacation scheduled between now and August.
With the COVID-19 pandemic still spreading, when do you think your next vacation will be?
- May 2020 – August 2020 - 13.21%
- September 2020 – December 2020 - 20.41%
- January 2021 – April 2021 - 14.58%
- May 2021 – August 2021 - 26.76%
- September 2021 – December 2021 - 9.95%
- January 2022 or Later - 15.09%
Interesting Demographic Comparison - Above they mentioned that the youngest and oldest age groups had the most vacations planned for Summer 2020. Despite this, the middle age groups still plan to travel more between now and August 2020 with pandemic still spreading. The age groups of 30-44 and 45-60 are more committed to their vacations this year. In the previous question we showed that that age groups of 18-29 and 60 and over were 6 to 12% more likely to have planned a vacation for this summer than the age groups of 30-44 and 45-60. However, due to the coronavirus, these same age groups are 3 to 5% less likely to think they’ll vacation this summer. We think it’s likely that the 30 to 60 age group are more likely to be locked into work and if they don’t vacation this summer, they will have to wait until next year.
Key Takeaway - Only 33.62% of people think their next vacation will be in 2020.
Has COVID-19 impacted your financial ability to travel or vacation in the near future?
- Yes - 53.69%
- No - 46.31%
Key Takeaway - Nearly half of people may not be able to travel in the near future due to COVID-19.
Would you risk traveling to a place you love with COVID-19 still expanding in some areas?
- Yes - 31.39%
- No - 68.61%
Key Takeaway - 31.39% of respondents said they will risk it and go to a place they love despite COVID-19 expanding in those areas.
When allowed, how soon would you feel comfortable traveling internationally?
Immediately - 12.52%
- 3-6 months to monitor a potential second wave of COVID-19 - 31.22%
- 1 Year - 27.96%
- 2 Years or More - 28.30%
Key Takeaway - More than 56% of people plan to wait at least one year to travel internationally when they are allowed with many people planning to wait at least two years.
Other than increased cleaning, under which conditions would you feel comfortable flying again
- I would fly right now with no special conditions - 13.72%
- Mandatory masks for all employees and customers - 16.81%
- Mandatory masks for all employees and customers plus no people seated in middle seats - 34.48%
- COVID-19 vaccine or cure - 34.99%
Key Takeaway - Nearly 35% of people do not feel comfortable flying again until there is a cure or vaccine for COVID-19.
Would you pay extra to avoid having someone in a middle seat next to you when flying?
- Yes, up to 25% of my ticket cost - 26.42%
- Yes, up to 50% of my ticket cost - 11.66%
- Yes, up to 75% of my ticket cost - 5.32%
- Yes, I’d pay for two tickets for myself - 3.95%
- No - 52.66%
Key takeaway - Almost 50% of people would pay extra for an empty middle seat.
Which airline do you trust most to keep you safe from COVID-19?
- Alaska Airlines - 7.38%
- Allegiant Air - 1.89%
- American Airlines - 15.78%
- Delta Airlines - 20.24%
- Frontier Airlines - 1.89%
- Hawaiian Airlines - 3.60%
- JetBlue - 7.03%
- Southwest Airlines - 23.16%
- Spirit Airlines - 1.54%
- United Airlines - 17.50%
Key Takeaway - Only 12.35% of people trust low-cost carriers the most to keep them safe from COVID-19. This includes the 1.89% that trust Allegiant Air the most. After that, the 1.89% for Frontier Airlines, the 7.03% for JetBlue and the 1.54% for Spirit Airlines are also included.
Which accommodation would you feel safest staying in right now?
- Airbnb - 23.16%
- Chain Hotel (Marriott, Hilton, Best Western, etc.) - 62.78%
- Independent Hotel -11.66%
- Hostel - 2.40%
Key Takeaway - An overwhelming 62.78% of people feel safest staying in a chain hotel such as a Marriott or Hilton over any other accommodation.
Which accommodations would you normally consider but won’t while the COVID-19 pandemic persists? (Check All That Apply)
- Airbnb - 39.62%
- Chain Hotel (Marriott, Hilton, Best Western, etc.) - 46.66%
- Independent Hotel - 42.37%
- Hostel - 28.30%
Key Takeaway - 39.62% of people will not consider staying in an Airbnb while the pandemic still persists.