HOUSTON - If one of your New Year’s resolutions is to lose weight, traveling through George Bush Intercontinental Airport is going to be a challenge, at least according to the nominations for the 2019 USA Today 10Best Readers' Choice travel award contest.
Dining options earned six nominations in the of the seven categories that included Bush locations in the annual online voting, landing Bush Airport a slot in the 15 airports nominated in the Best Airport Dining category. Hubcap Grill landed two of the six category nominations, one each for Best Airport Local/Regional Dining and Best Airport Grab-And-Go Dining.
Nominees for all categories were chosen by a panel of experts which include a combination of editors from USA Today and 10Best.com, as well as expert contributors. Airport Experience News worked with industry experts to vet and nominate 15 finalists in each category, and USA Today 10Best readers have until noon Jan. 28, 2019, to vote daily for their favorites. Links to all the categories can be found at this link. Participants can vote for each category once every 24 hours until the voting deadline passes.
The categories that include restaurants and shopping at Bush Airport are:
- Best Airport for Dining: Bush Airport was nominated for its diverse mix of Texas-based chain restaurants such as Whataburger and Bullritos, as well as chef-driven choices among the tenant roster. Beyond that are Houston chef Bryan Caswell's 3rd Bar Eating House, Vietnamese-Cajun favorite Bam Bam and a Tex-Mex restaurant called El Real. Like all good hub airports, the airport features a mix of fast casual and high-end dining choices.
- Best Airport Local/Regional Dining: Hubcap Grill, located in Terminal A, was nominated for serving some of Houston's favorite burgers and hand-spun boozy milkshakes to travelers flying out of IAH. The restaurant also has local and national beers on tap and a full bar.
- Best Airport Local/Regional Dining: A second Bush Airport location, The Breakfast Klub, also located in Terminal A, was nominated for serving a full menu of breakfast favorites featured at its sidewalk location in Houston’s Midtown district, as well as sandwiches and salads. The restaurant also has local and national beers on tap and a full bar.
- Best Airport Grab-And-Go Dining: Hubcap Grill, located in Terminal A, earned a second nomination. A longtime Houston favorite, Hubcap Grill has been voted “Houston’s Best Burger” for its fresh ground beef patties with garden-fresh toppings and locally baked buns. Texas Monthly Magazine voted the Philly-Cheesesteak Burger the 5th best burger in the state.
- Best Airport Sitdown Dining: Hugo’s Cocina, located in Terminal D, was nominated for serving up fresh and flavorful dishes from several regions of Mexico, all made from scratch. Menu items include migas, Baja fish tacos, pozole and slow-cooked carnitas.
- Best Airport Bar/Restaurant Atmosphere: A new option, Yume! In Terminal E, was nominated for its unique setting. A canopy of Chinese lanterns hangs above diners, designed to bring the vibrancy of an Asian night market. Sushi and ramen star at this Asian Biergarten.
- Best Airport Bar: Cadillac Mexican Kitchen & Tequila Bar, located in Terminal A, was nominated as a noted Houston favorite that specializes in authentic Mexican fare (and margaritas). Travelers holding a Priority Pass get an automatic $28 to spend at the bar.
- Best Airport Bar: Beerhive, located in Terminal E, also was nominated for brining a selection of Texas craft beer options to thirsty travelers.
- Best Airport Newsstand/Travel Essential: With locations in Terminal A and Terminal C, Culturemap provides a range of souvenirs and travel products and a city concierge service based on its online publication.