The Vacationer posted Disney Parks Travel Survey, conducted to gauge whether Americans think it is worth visiting Disney World and Disneyland with the current restrictions and Covid-19 rules. Questions were geared toward Walt Disney World in Florida and Disneyland in California.
The survey included 504 Americans over the age of 18 and was conducted online using SurveyMonkey's interface/audience on our behalf from April 21-22, 2021. I, Eric Jones, analyzed the survey, and I am an Assistant Professor of Mathematics at Rowan College South Jersey. A complete methodology is listed at the bottom.
- Nearly 46% of all American adults believe the current face mask policy at Disney ruins the experience and magic.
- Almost seven out of every ten American adults say it is currently not worth visiting Disney World or Disneyland with parades, shows and other experiences closed.
- Nearly 1 out of every 4 American adults will visit a Disney park (Disney World or Disneyland) within the next 12 months.
Here are the full results:
1. Do you think currently having to wear a face mask at all times (except when actively eating or swimming) at Disney World and Disneyland ruins the experience/magic?
- Yes. - 45.60%
- No. - 54.40%
Key Takeaway: Nearly 46% of all American adults believe the current face mask policy at Disney ruins the experience and magic. The 46% represents over 116 million Americans aged 18 or older based on the Census. This is a substantial figure and undoubtedly will create a slow down in foot traffic at Disney World and at Disneyland. It recently started allowing guests to temporarily remove face masks while taking photos outdoors with cast members. This was a welcome change by guests.
Interesting Demographic Comparison: The East South Central region had the highest percentage of people say that Disney’s face mask policy ruined the experience at 53.57%. This region includes the states of Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama and Mississippi. On the other hand, the New England region had the lowest percentage of people saying face masks ruined the magic at 35%. This region includes the states of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. These statistics are a perfect example of the political divide in the United States regarding face mask wearing.
2. Do you think it is currently worth visiting (and paying for) Disney World or Disneyland with parades, fireworks, shows and other experiences being closed?
- Yes. - 30.86%
- No. - 69.14%
Key Takeaway: Almost seven out of every ten American adults say it is currently not worth visiting Disney World or Disneyland with parades, shows and other experiences closed. This makes sense based on the above statistic that showed 45.6% of people believed the experience is ruined by the face masks.
Interesting Demographic Comparison: More men than women currently believe that it is still worth going to Disney World or Disneyland. 34.18% of men said yes while only 27.86% of women of did.
3. When do you think your next trip to Disney World or Disneyland will be?
- Within the Next 3 Months. - 5.41%
- 3 Months to 1 Year. - 18.44%
- 1 Year or More. - 59.92%
- Never because I do not like Disney. - 16.23%
Key Takeaway: Nearly 1 out of every 4 American adults will visit a Disney park within the next 12 months. This figure includes the 5.41% that will visit within the next 3 months. It also includes the 18.44% that will visit within the next 3 months to 1 year. This statistic truly shows Disney’s reach and it’s standing in American culture. Over 60 million American adults will visit this year despite a pandemic and safety concerns. The 60 million also does not include any children they may bring.
Interesting Demographic Comparison: More men than women will visit Disney in the next year. 27.97% of men said they will visit Disney in the next year. However, only 20.15% of women said they will visit during that same timeframe.
4. Regardless of any plans, when would you feel safe visiting Disney World or Disneyland?
- I feel safe right now. - 38.72%
- Not until I am vaccinated. - 20.36%
- Not until herd immunity is achieved. - 40.92%
Key Takeaway: Over 61% of adult Americans or 156 million people do not feel safe visiting Disney until they are vaccinated or herd immunity is reached. This further illuminates why only 30.86% of adults feel it is currently worth visiting Disney.
Interesting Demographic Comparison: People over 60 are overwhelmingly the most likely to not feel safe traveling until herd immunity is reached. 53.85% of adults over 60 said this. However, only 38.98% in the 45-60 category and 38.38% in the 30-44 range said this. Lastly, only 36.57% in the 18-29 age did.