BELLEVUE, WASH. - To celebrate the 20th anniversary of its founding in 1996, Expedia.com, now one of the world's largest full service travel sites, is introducing a 20th-themed sale as a special anniversary gift to customers.
Consumers can visit expedia.com/20-years-of-expedia where they will uncover coupons throughout the summer, including 20% off hotels, $20 off hotels, $150 off packages and a surprise coupon offer where the discount could be as much as 96% off. Expedia will also offer hotel deals throughout the entire promotion, which runs through August 2, 2016.
"Through Expedia, consumers have fueled a wholesale transformation in travel over the past two decades," said Aman Bhutani, President, Brand Expedia Group. "Today, travelers can dream, plan and book vacations when and how they want: by computer, via mobile devices, even with a good old fashioned phone call. Expedia is with them at every stage of the travel process. We are thankful to have worked with so many travelers over this time, to have helped millions of people explore. And we are very excited about what the next 20 years will bring."
Over the last 20 years, Expedia.com has averaged a booking on its site every other second. Expedia travel analysts recently looked back at some of the booking milestones over the company's 20-year history. This retrospective revealed a number of fun and interesting facts:
Las Vegas is the most popular destination searched on Expedia. Whether a standalone search for flights, hotel, car rentals, or a money-saving package, travelers the world over are drawn to Sin City.
- Over the last ten years, the Top 10 list of hotels sold includes Las Vegas (1) Orlando (2), New York (3), Los Angeles (4), San Diego (5), San Francisco (6), Miami (7), Chicago (8), Cancun (9) and Orange County (10).
- Mexico is the top international destination for American travelers. Specifically, Cancun.
- Over the past 20 years, more people have flown out of New York City than from any other American city, based on flight bookings on Expedia.com.
- Over the past 20 years, the most popular domestic flight route is between LAX and JFK.
- Travelers using Expedia have booked travel to more than 2,100 cities in more than 220 countries, territories or colonies.
- Expedia's deep dive into 20 years of traveler data also resulted in some hard-to-believe facts worth sharing, including:
- Over the last ten years alone, travelers who booked through Expedia have flown 534 billion miles, or the equivalent of 72 round trip flights from the sun to Pluto.
The largest group of travelers booked on a single itinerary on Expedia was exactly 100 people. This happened three separate times in 2009. One of those was a group trip to Dollywood in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee.
The most complex trip booked with a single itinerary was a 14-stage trip spanning 80 days, departing from Budapest and ending in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
Expedia has sold enough hotel room nights in the last 20 years to account for every person living in the US.
Formed in 1996 as a small division within Microsoft, Expedia's continued growth is fueled in large part by consumer love of travel. Expedia helped transfer booking power into the hands of consumers – in response, they have used that power to explore the world, helping to transform the entire travel marketplace while doing so.