Effective September 7, the Government of Canada will open its borders for discretionary travel by fully vaccinated travellers from any country who meet specific entry requirements.
In order to manage the anticipated influx of travellers, and recognizing our shared border and relationship with the U.S., Canada will begin allowing entry to fully vaccinated American citizens and permanent residents (currently residing in the US) for discretionary travel as of August 9. If they meet the entry criteria, fully vaccinated travellers will not have to quarantine upon arrival to Canada.
To further support these new measures, five additional airports will re-open as soon as possible after August 9 to welcome direct international flights: Halifax Stanfield International Airport, Quebec City Jean Lesage International Airport, Ottawa/Macdonald-Cartier International Airport, Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport and the Edmonton International Airport.
"We are proud to support an industry that has shown such great resilience throughout the global pandemic and this announcement is very welcome news. Easing border measures for fully vaccinated travellers is a positive and critical step for the recovery of Canadian tourism and business events sectors.", stated the Government of Canada.
"The value that tourism brings to Canada, Canadians and our communities has never been more evident. We encourage all tourism businesses to share information around this next phase of re-opening, so we can all be ready to welcome back visitors first from the US, and then around the world. Here are some key messages to share as appropriate:
- Visitors can feel confident in making travel plans as tourism businesses throughout Canada have made huge investments in new hygiene protocols.
- Canada’s adult population has one of the world’s highest rates of COVID-19 vaccination.
- Travel to Canada is going to be different than it was prior to the pandemic.
- We encourage all travellers to be fully informed of the pre-entry and on-arrival public health and testing requirements both federally and provincially. This includes the mandatory use of the ArriveCAN app. Travellers should plan for extra time in the lead up, and upon the arrival of their trip.
- For the latest information on travel to Canada including the updated federal requirements and restrictions, please visit the Government of Canada website here."
"We look forward to welcoming back fully vaccinated American visitors as of August 9, and those from other countries on September 7. Together, let’s showcase the country we love with glowing hearts!"