HomeToGo released its 2021 Year In Review retrospective. Looking at the search patterns, amenity priorities and accommodation type preferences of its guests from all 50 states, HomeToGo’s Year in Review draws on a depth of internal data. From the jet-setters to the staycationers, the sauna obsessed to the dog devotees, the villa vacationers to the boat-trippers - HomeToGo reveals how travelers across the country thought about, planned for and took vacations throughout 2021.
Travel Demand Behavior
- Travel Planners vs. Procrastinators: In 2021, travelers from Maine left the longest lead times when it came to vacation planning, starting searches an average of 113 days (16 weeks) ahead of their departure dates. With an average of just 63 days (9 weeks) between search and departure dates, travelers in Texas landed at the other end of the scale, taking the title of 2021’s most spontaneous travelers.
- Jet-Setters vs. Staycationers: With 93% of all searches dedicated to U.S. destinations, West Virginia vacationers were the most likely to travel domestically, while travelers from Florida were the most likely to travel within their own state. Travelers from California had their sights set on destinations farther afield, with 80% of searches for international destinations.
- Flex Appeal vs. Determined Dates: Travelers from Montana are the most flexible when it comes to vacation planning, with 47% of all searches using HomeToGo’s flexible dates filter, followed by travelers from Hawaii (46%), Wyoming (44%), and California (44%). Travelers from Indiana are the least flexible, with only 36% of searches making use of the flexible dates filter
- Pool Loungers: While HomeToGo’s “Pool” amenity was the most frequently used filter in 2021 overall, search data reveals that travelers from Ohio were the most eager to take a dip and relax poolside this year.
- Wedded to WIFi: Whether it was for the rising trend of “workations”, Netflix binging or sharing vacation snaps on social media, HomeToGo’s “Internet” amenity was most often selected by travelers from Delaware in 2021.
- Dog Devotees: Travelers from Oregon were the most prone to vacationing alongside their canine companions, with searches from these states making the most frequent use of HomeToGo’s “Pets Allowed” filter.
- Grill Masters: Especially relevant for the summer long weekend traveler, usage of HomeToGo's “With Barbecue” filter was especially popular this past year among those living in South Dakota.
- Roadtrippers: Seeing the highest percentage of searches filtering for HomeToGo’s “Garage” amenity, travelers from Pennsylvania were revving their engines to visit drive-to destinations in 2021.
- States of Relaxation: Travelers from Colorado knew how to kick back and unwind in style during vacations in 2021, making the most frequent use of HomeToGo’s “Hot Tub” amenity. Meanwhile, travelers from Minnesota preferred to turn up the heat to chill out, with the highest percentage of searches from these states filtering for the “Sauna” amenity.
All About Accommodation
- Ranch Hands: Opting for a simpler kind of retreat, “Farm Stays” were most searched for amongst travelers from Kansas in 2021 - followed by vacationers Washington and Missouri.
- Boujee and Beautiful: Looking for stylish serenity and sunny escapes, searches filtering for “Villas” were most often seen amongst travelers from Nevada, California, and Arizona.
- Keeping It Cozy: For those looking to get away from it all, the “Cabin” accommodation type was the most popular amongst travelers from Oklahoma, followed by vacationers from Kentucky and West Virginia.
- Outdoorsy Crowd: The group of travelers with the highest usage of “Camping/Glamping” filter on HomeToGo include South Dakota, Rhode Island, and Wyoming.
- Making Waves: Travelers from Oregon, South Dakota, and Washington took to the water in 2021, with these markets seeing the highest percentage of searches using the “Boat” accommodation type filter.