The new runway lighting systems can solve many problems that airports have been dealing with for some time now. Among these problems are runway incursions, delayed takeoffs, landings, insufficient lighting when it is raining or snowing, incorrect sequencing of lights that creates confusion on the part of pilots when landing at night, etc.
We have to remember that human errors are primarily responsible for almost 75% of all airplane crashes. That being said, we can understand why so much importance is put on developing and improving the precision of the instruments used by pilots when landing at night. Thankfully, developers and manufacturers such as Signalight.com have created great devices that help unify airport lights systems and thus minimize human errors in major airports worldwide.
For example, the new LED system manages to solve many problems related to incursions that previously were hardly solvable. With the latest runway lighting systems, pilots can be warned of any impending danger due to incorrect sequencing of lights, which has constantly been the cause for many dangerous situations.
- Airports will now have more accurate information regarding their lighting system because it is all managed from a computer. It means that they will know precisely whether an error has occurred and needs to get fixed.
- They can also enhance the safety of an airplane by providing high-intensity light beams on the entire length of a runway.
- These lights can also provide a highly visible path of lights for a pilot to follow, even in inclement weather conditions. This aids in providing the pilots with a better view of where they are supposed to land their plane and ensures that the runway is clear before take-off procedures can be initiated.
- In addition to this, the new runway lighting systems help pilots to see objects on the runway that they may not have been able to detect through conventional lighting systems. It is especially beneficial during nighttime operations or when the fog starts to set in.
- The new LED lights also help pilots decide whether it would be better for them to land their plane at another airport instead of continuing with their current landing.
- And lastly, the new runway lighting systems are not as hazardous as other types of lamps. The lights do not produce any harmful radiation, and their design does not generate any radio interference waves that could lead to electromagnetic disturbances or any physical damage to airliners.
Because of this, the new LED runway lights can give off more light than other kinds of lighting systems used in airports and consume less power. It makes these lighting fixtures an ideal replacement for conventional street lights found along runways.
Reasons why LED runway lights are gaining popularity
1. The fact that these lights can provide a high-intensity, 360-degree light beam makes them perfect to be used as runway lights. The intense beams allow pilots to see objects on the runway.
2. The new LED lamps offer pilots better visibility even when the runway is wet from rain or other obstacles on the ground. These fixtures can be seen from a long distance away, making them more visible in inclement weather conditions.
3. In addition to all of these features, these LED lights do not produce high heat levels and reduce the chances of fog setting in by dissipating the moisture on the runway.
4. These lights also require very little maintenance and are easier to replace when necessary. Their low power consumption does not create radio interference problems with surrounding instruments or aircraft communications systems.
5. Lastly, LED lamps are safer because they do not produce high-intensity beams of light that could severely damage a pilot's eyesight or create a glare that makes it difficult for the pilots to determine the direction of their plane.
Features to look for when sourcing for LED products
1. Make sure that it is OTC compliant.
2. The light output of the LED runway light should provide a long and bright beam for pilots to follow. It is especially essential when the lights will be used during foggy weather conditions.
3. It has to have a service life as long as possible to make sure that the lights can function effectively even after several years of use.
4. The product has to have a low power consumption rate and be safe to use around sensitive equipment.
5. It should also have the ability to provide pilots with enhanced visibility under any weather conditions or time of day, including dawn and dusk periods.
6. Finally, it should last for several years without requiring any additional maintenance.
In conclusion, LED runway lights are making it possible for airports to enhance the safety and efficiency of pilots as well as passengers through innovative lighting fixtures that can eliminate barriers that inhibit take-offs or landings.