Online marketplace for African safaris SafariBookings.com, conducted its annual study to unequivocally determine the 50 best African Safari parks of 2019. Serengeti National Park in Tanzania held onto first place, which was no surprise to safari enthusiasts. The Serengeti received an overall rating of 4.92 out of 5, which was the highest score ever recorded.
Our study further revealed that the top 10 safari destinations in Africa are:
- Serengeti National Park
- Mana Pools National Park
- Mala Mala Game Reserve
- Okavango Delta
- Lower Zambezi National Park
- Moremi Game Reserve
- South Luangwa National park
- Ngorongoro Crater
- Sabi Sand Game Reserve
- Masai Mara National Reserve
A total of 1,363 reviews were contributed by safari tourists from 72 countries. The remaining 1,010 park reviews were written by renowned industry experts, including guidebook authors working with Lonely Planet, Rough Guides, Frommer’s, Bradt and Footprint.
Serengeti’s ongoing success as the leading park for safaris in Africa is probably based on the diversity and size of its habitats, which in turn support large populations of wildlife. Also, more than 80% of these habitats in the park receives legal protection from the Tanzanian government.
Why do so many travelers rate Serengeti as their favorite safari destination?
- the annual Great Migration (hosting over 2.5 million wildebeest and zebra) is the greatest wildlife show on Earth
- wildlife viewing is exceptional year-round, and includes predators in large numbers
- endless savannahs feel like authentic Africa, and unfurl like a never-ending green ribbon in all directions, broken only by lone acacia trees.
- visits to the park are combined with ease to other stunning parks in Tanzania.
The fact that the Serengeti beat all the other major safari parks in Africa to claim the number one ranking for the third time in a row is an outstanding achievement.