SINGAPORE – Tripadvisor announced the winners of its highly-anticipated annual Travellers’ Choice Awards for Hotels. Following the early 2022 releases of the Best of the Best Destinations and Beaches, this latest community-powered ranking reveals the most-loved hotels around the world, just in time for a busy summer travel season.
Now in the 20th year of the Travellers’ Choice Awards for Hotels, Tripadvisor is honoured to continue to serve in its role as the most trusted travel guidance platform in the world for two decades and counting, and grateful for its community of travellers all over the world who continue to share their authentic feedback to help future travellers plan and book their own trips.
The 2022 Travellers’ Choice Best of the Best Awards are based on the quality and quantity of traveller reviews and ratings posted on Tripadvisor over the 12-month period from January 1, 2021 through December 31, 2021. With millions of hotels around the world listed on Tripadvisor, only the cream of the crop - less than 1% - are awarded as the Best of the Best.
Despite another year of ups and downs, people still vacationed around the world, embracing a post-pandemic travel renaissance spurred by high vaccination rates. From returning to their favourite, trusted hotel, to adventurous journeys to new resorts across the world, people found ways to prioritise travel, and returned the favour by leaving reviews of their stay. The Travellers’ Choice Awards recognize the hotels they loved most.
The 2022 awards include 11 subcategories of accommodations, including three brand new ones: Out of the Ordinary Hotels, Hotels on the Water, and Mountain Resorts & Lodges. These subcategories are based on a variety of different factors - from hotel-type to location and even age of the property - to better customise travel planning for our variety of different travellers.
“We know there is not a one-size-fits-all approach to travel planning. Some travellers are looking for unique stays - ranging from cave hotels to overwater bungalows - while others are looking for a quaint B&B,” said Kanika Soni, Chief Commercial Officer, Tripadvisor. “No matter what type of trip you are looking for, this year's Travellers’ Choice Awards - with winners spanning six continents and 90 countries - showcase the top recommendations from other travellers.”
The No.1 Top Hotel in the entire world for 2022 is Tulemar Bungalows & Villas in Costa Rica. This jungle resort is perched on a hillside overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Consistently ranking in the Best of the Best Awards, Tulemar is frequently called an “amazing stay in paradise” by its guests.
Topping Asia's best list is Six Senses Laamu ranking No. 1 for 2022. This hotel is no stranger to the Travellers’ Choice Best of the Best Awards. Located in the pristine Laamu Atoll, dolphins spin all along the shores of Six Senses Laamu. The stunning property offers 97 villas, both overwater and on the beach, and an abundance of dining options, water sports, spa and other great activities.
Indonesia hit the jackpot this year, with 12 World’s Best wins across categories. Amongst Asia's Best lists, Indonesia pulled through with 25 winners. The most notable wins include Adiwana Suweta that is ranked No. 1 Hottest New Hotel in the World as well Padma Resort Ubud that is ranked No. 3 on the World’s Best Mountain Resorts & Lodges and No. 5 Best Luxury Hotel in the World.
Top 10 Hotels in the World for 2022
- Tulemar Bungalows & Villas - Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica
- Hotel Colline de France - Gramado, Brazil
- Ikos Aria - Kefalos, Greece
- Romance Istanbul Hotel - Istanbul, Turkey
- THE OMNIA - Zermatt, Switzerland
- Kayakapi Premium Caves - Cappadocia - Urgup, Turkey
- Six Senses Laamu - Olhuveli Island, Maldives
- Hamanasi Adventure and Dive Resort - Hopkins, Belize
- Padma Resort Ubud - Bali, Indonesia
- BLESS Hotel Madrid - Madrid, Spain
Adiwana Suweta in Bali takes the cake as the best new hotel on the planet for 2022. The resort faces lush green jungle and overlooks towering tropical trees. In a year of intense stress and uncertainty, Adiwana has been the relaxing paradise travellers needed.
Mountain Resorts & Lodges (NEW for 2022): The perfect places to escape in the mountains.
- Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, also rated the No. 1 Top Hotel, is the best Mountain Resort & Lodge in the world for 2022. Perched in the jungle, travellers love the Tulemar for its mountainside adventure.
Hotels on the Water (NEW for 2022): It’s all about those waterfront views - and the (very short) distance between your bed and the beach.
- Ikos Aria in Greece is the No. 1 Hotel on the Water for 2022. Basking in the enticing sunshine on the southwest coast of Kos island, Ikos Aria offers a compelling mix of contemporary style and traditional hospitality.
Out of the Ordinary Hotels (NEW for 2022): If you’re looking for a stay to remember, these unique spots are sure to wow.
- A unique year has prompted travellers to seek out unique stays. This brand new list for 2022 spotlights their favourite unusual and weird-looking properties, from cave hotels to jungle treehouses to yurts and everything in between. The No 1. Out of the Ordinary Hotel is Kayakapi Premium Caves - Cappadocia in Turkey. This is a once in a lifetime experience to stay in rooms built within a maze of caves. Add to that the view of the city of Ürgüp and Göreme National Park outside and you’ve got the perfect setup for a lust-worthy Instagram.
Luxury Hotels: Five-star stays, grand getaways, and above-and-beyond service - it doesn’t get any better than this.
- Greece’s Ikos Aria tops the Luxury list as well. It’s not just the location that travellers love; this five-star hotel has guests raving about the deluxe services and best-in-class service.
B&Bs and Inns: All the quaint and cosy vibes you could ever need.
- The Toulson Court in Scarborough, United Kingdom is the No1. B&B in the world for the second year in a row. Lauded by guests for being their “home away from home,” The Toulson is a quintessential bed and breakfast with warm and welcoming hosts.
Small Stays: Boutique hotels that make a big impression.
- The No.1 Small Hotel in the world for 2022 is White House Hotel Istanbul. On top of its prime location to explore Istanbul’s endless sites, The White House Hotel has a stunning rooftop terrace where guests enjoy breakfast with a view.
Family-Friendly Hotels: Parent-loved, kid-approved hotels for your next family vacay.
- Alpino Baby Family Hotel in Andalo, Italy is the No. 1 Family-Friendly Hotel in the world for 2022. Find fun for the kids and relaxation for parents. This hotel has large equipped play areas, a water park, entertainment and daily assistance even for babies.
Most Romantic Hotels: Dreamy stays that couples love.
- When it comes to romance, you can find it at Hotel Valle D’Incanto, literally translating to “enchanting hotel.” This Italian-inspired stay in Gramado, Brazil is the No. 1 Most Romantic in the world for 2022. From honeymoons to anniversary trips, you’re in for charm, romanticism and exclusivity.
All-Inclusive Resorts: Resorts that have thought of everything so you don’t have to.
- Ikos Aria in Greece takes its third No.1 in the world ranking for 2022 as the best All-Inclusive Resort (along with Hotels on the Water, Luxury Hotels). Beyond the dreamy views and lux amenities, Ikos Aria stands out for its impeccable service - guests barely have to lift a finger.