Have you ever heard of a sneezing bird? We neither. With the COVID-19 taking over the land routes and preventing human contact, the skies remain a safe place to go - provided that you somehow manage to avoid other travellers. But how? Well, commercial aircraft is not the only option, you know. Owning your own plane might look like an 80’s billionaire gimmick, but in 2020, no one is impressed with aircraft for sale. Betcha if you search on Craigslist, and you’ll find one - possibly a shady one, of course, but the point is that they’re out there, and they’re affordable.
Where to look?
Today, a simple Google search may yield dozens of results. But it is a good idea to look for businesses that have been offering planes for sale for a while. Purchasing from aviation classifieds companies with experience in the field will ensure that buying a plane or helicopter for your personal use will go without a hitch. Most such companies will have an inventory of aircraft for sale immediately available - with all the features and pictures you, as a potential buyer, would want. So, keep in mind these three principles when choosing a place to buy your plane from:
- The experience of the business on the market;
- The inventory of available planes and helicopters for sale - new or used;
- Ways to contact the company must be available: location, PO box, phone number, etc.
This will make your experience smooth and safe. Some sellers also advertise their companies that offer help or training connected with aviation and flying. Keep an eye out for those, too!
What to look for?
If you’re looking to buy an aircraft to take your family across the country without the risk of catching the pesky ‘rona, you must take into account several factors. Here are just a few, for starters:
- What you need the aircraft for. Buying a helicopter to take you to a neighboring town is one thing, having to travel across the globe is completely another.
- Your budget. How much can you spare? Maybe, you should first sell your old plane to buy that shiny new jet, mmm?
- The condition of the plane or helicopter for sale. When buying that pre-owned metal birdie, look for chips, cracks, leaks, and all those coughs and sneezes you wish to avoid. Talk to the seller, get an appointment with the previous owner - being curious equals being responsible here.
- The availability of aftermarket parts. Owning a rare helo from the ‘70s is cool and all, but what’s the point if it can’t fly and you can’t get it going? Another risk is that a spare part for your bird may cost as much as a new Corvette just because they are so rare.
Look carefully through the specifications of any aircraft you’re going to buy. Think ahead, think smart, and get ready for liftoff!
Come fly with me!
There you go, now you’re ready to step on the road to being free to travel wherever you want to - Corona or no Corona. Just don’t forget to get some good training before you get into the cockpit! Or at least hire a professional (if you can afford one, that is). In 2021, flying is no longer a privilege, it is a right that you absolutely must enjoy. Be you a buyer or a seller, going online is a place to start, so switch on and see you in the skies!