Latest News
HomeRegional NewsEuropeGunman on a truck kills 84 people in attack on Nice’s Promenade des Anglais
Terrorism

Gunman on a truck kills 84 people in attack on Nice’s Promenade des Anglais

84 people died and 18 were in a critical condition. Many more were also wounded in the attack along the famed seafront Promenade des Anglais as the fireworks ended just after 10:30 p.m. (2030 GMT) last night.

According to Reuters, a "terrorist" gunman killed 80 people and wounded scores when he drove a heavy truck at high speed into a crowd that had watched Bastille Day fireworks in the French Riviera city of Nice late on Thursday, officials said.

Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said 84 people died and 18 were in a critical condition. Many more were also wounded in the attack along the famed seafront Promenade des Anglais as the fireworks ended just after 10:30 p.m. (2030 GMT).

The driver also opened fire before police shot him dead.

In a pre-dawn address to the nation, President Francois Hollande said he was calling up military and police reservists to relieve forces worn out by an eight-month state of emergency begun after the Islamic State militant group killed 130 people in Paris. The state of emergency was extended by three months.

"France is filled with sadness by this new tragedy," Hollande said, noting several children were among the dead in what he said he had no doubt was an act of terrorism. He called the carnage, which came as France celebrated the anniversary of the 1789 revolutionary storming of the Bastille, an attack on liberty by fanatics who despised human rights. France would, nonetheless, continue military operations in Syria and Iraq.

Counter-terrorist investigators were seeking to identify the driver. A local government official said weapons and grenades were found inside the 25-tonne, unmarked articulated truck. Officials said hundreds were hurt as the driver wove along the seafront, knocking them down "like skittles".

There had been no claim of responsibility.

Facebook activated its Safety Check feature on Thursday after a truck rammed a Bastille Day celebration in Nice, France, killing at least 73 people and injuring scores more. It's the third time in a little more than a month that the social network has activated the tool, which lets Facebook users who are at or near the site of a natural disaster or terrorist attack inform their friends on the network that they are safe. The tool was put into use in early June after the deadly attack on an Orlando, Florida, night club claimed the lives of 49 people and again less than two weeks later after suicide bombings at Istanbul Ataturk Airport that claimed at least 45 lives.

UNWTO strongly condemns attack in Nice, France
UNWTO is deeply shocked by the hideous attack perpetrated in Nice. On behalf of the international tourism community, UNWTO expresses its heartfelt condolences to the families and friends of the victims and to the French people in this difficult moment.

"On behalf of the international tourism community, UNWTO conveys its heartfelt condolences to the families and friends of the victims and expresses its full solidarity with the people and the Government of France” said UNWTO Secretary-General, Taleb Rifai. “Nice is, and will continue to be, one of the leading tourism destinations in France and in the world. In the face of these forces of darkness, we must more than ever remain united to fight this global threat” he added.

Tatiana Rokou

Tatiana is the news coordinator for TravelDailyNews Media Network (traveldailynews.gr, traveldailynews.com and traveldailynews.asia). Her role includes monitoring the hundreds of news sources of TravelDailyNews Media Network and skimming the most important according to our strategy.

She holds a Bachelor's degree in Communication & Mass Media from Panteion University of Political & Social Studies of Athens and she has been editor and editor-in-chief in various economic magazines and newspapers.

12/07/2024
11/07/2024
10/07/2024
09/07/2024
08/07/2024