Starting on January 26, 2021, Los Cabos will offer onsite testing to all travelers, ensuring a seamless implementation of the new CDC requirement for U.S. travelers.
LOS CABOS, MEXICO – In an unprecedented effort, Los Cabos Tourism Board announced that starting on Tuesday, January 26, 2021, all international travelers visiting Los Cabos will have access to a COVID-19 test before their scheduled international departure. This meets with the requirement of a negative test for all air passengers departing to the U.S. per The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) order and to Canada per the Government of Canada order.
Los Cabos’ swift response and coordinated work between the private and public sectors have been critical to ensure that the destination remains safe and secure. “We are proud of the strong partnership we have created with our tourism partners across the destination, which has been critical to Los Cabos’ response to COVID-19 and the creation of the new testing program,” said Rodrigo Esponda, Managing Director of Los Cabos Tourism Board. “We are focused on continuing to provide a personalized service that supports the CDC requirement without disrupting the travel experience of our visitors.”
Los Cabos’ COVID-19 testing program will start next week in partnership with government health authorities, Los Cabos International Airport, and tourism partners, ensuring a seamless implementation of the measure. Travelers visiting Los Cabos can expect the following:
1. Onsite Testing – tourists visiting Los Cabos will be able to get an Antigen test at their lodging facility, including hotels, villas, and timeshares. The process is safe, fast, and simple given that all facilities are equipped to administer the Antigen test, which is acceptable by the CDC.
2. Medical Certification – testing will be performed by the lodging facilities’ medical team that have been trained and authorized by the Mexican Health Secretary to administer the test. Once the negative result is confirmed, the doctors will issue a medical certificate on behalf of the health authorities of Baja California Sur for travelers to present before boarding their return flight.
3. Low- to No-Cost – travel partners are working together to guarantee a flat rate of the test as low as USD$60. However, most of the hotels, timeshares, and villas have already announced free onsite testing to all travelers backing up Los Cabos’ commitment to provide outstanding customer service to all of its visitors.
4. Designated COVID-19 Areas – for positive cases, lodging facilities are prepared to implement a strict quarantine protocol and have designated specific COVID-19 areas for travelers needing to isolate in Los Cabos along with their families at a preferred rate.
5. Medical Assistance – positive cases will be overseen by the onsite medical team. Additionally, hotels, villas, and timeshares across the destination have established agreements with hospitals and private medical practices to be able to support travelers needing more advance treatment.
Los Cabos also offers PCR testing at select hospitals and lab facilities for travelers who require this test, such as those departing to Canada. Additionally, the Los Cabos International Airport will have a testing station to provide the Antigen test during emergency situations.
The rollout of Los Cabos’ testing program is supported by the Health Authorities of Baja California Sur and the Los Cabos Hotel Association, and will continue to be under ongoing monitoring from local tourism authorities to guarantee its safe and fast implementation.
Vicky is the co-founder of TravelDailyNews Media Network where she is the Editor-in Chief. She is also responsible for the daily operation and the financial policy. She holds a Bachelor's degree in Tourism Business Administration from the Technical University of Athens and a Master in Business Administration (MBA) from the University of Wales.
She has many years of both academic and industrial experience within the travel industry. She has written/edited numerous articles in various tourism magazines.