The Inaugural Awards rank the top 20 experiences in 11 regions around the world–including kayaking tours, foodie adventures, and historical site visits.
NEEDHAM, MA – Viator, the leading global experiences marketplace, announces the winners of the inaugural Viator Experience Awards. This new awards program ranks the world’s top experiences – setting the bar for the best things to do and see.
As travelers have had to learn to adjust their approach to exploration over the past several years, outdoor experiences shined on the inaugural rankings. From manatee snorkeling experiences in the Crystal River, to candlelit dinner cruises in Budapest, to private pyramid tours in Cairo–there is something for every kind of traveler on the list. Serving as a new hallmark of the best experiences to book, this first round of awards recognizes 220 experiences, tours and activities in 11 geographic regions.
"With two years of thwarted travel plans in the rearview, we're seeing extraordinary enthusiasm for the summer ahead," said Laurel Greatrix, VP of Brand and Communications, Viator. “As travelers venture out in greater numbers than ever, we're excited to introduce the Viator Experiences Awards – and elevate the best-of-the-best tours, activities, and experiences the world has to offer.”
The regions ranked include the United States, Canada, Latin America, Caribbean, Western Europe, Northern Europe, Southern Europe, Eastern Europe, Middle East and Africa, Australia and New Zealand, and Asia and the Pacific Islands.
The 2022 Viator Experience Awards Top Experience from Each of the 11 Regions:
- Mangrove Tunnels Kayak and Paddle Board Eco Tour – Naples, Florida, United States: Get an up-close view of Florida’s spectacular, coastal mangrove forests on this tour. Paddle through tunnels, have the chance to spot wildlife like dolphins and manatees, and learn about the forests from your guide.
“Our guide was kind, helpful, funny, and so knowledgeable about nature and animals. He really made the experience amazing! He also takes pictures of everyone and sends them. Totally would recommend.” –Brooklyn M., Jan 2022
- Quebec City Walking Tour – Québec, Canada: Explore this historic city on this walking tour. Visit top attractions in the Upper and Lower Town districts—like the Fortifications of Québec, Citadelle of Québec, Notre-Dame-des-Victoires Church and many more, with educational and entertaining commentary from a professional guide.
“Excellent walking tour! Our guide was great, very knowledgeable and funny at the same time. I highly recommend this tour!” – Barbara S., Mar 2022
- Food and Mixology Tour: Tequila, Tacos, and Mexican Cocktails – Puerto Vallarta, Mexico: Let a foodie guide lead you through Puerto Vallarta! This tour includes tastings of tacos and desserts along with five Mexican cocktails served by expert mixologists. You’ll also learn about the cultural roots of local spirits.
“If we could leave six stars we would. Miel was an excellent host/guide with an abundance of knowledge to impart. Every stop was excellent with a wonderful variety of different foods and drinks. We would thoroughly recommend this tour for anyone who enjoys Mexican food and culture.” – Andrew K., Mar 2021
- Small-Group Sailing and Snorkeling Catamaran Tour – Punta Cana, Dominican Republic: Set sail on the crystal blue waters surrounding Punta Cana on this small-group experience. Swim in a nature reserve, snorkel in the seas and enjoy tropical cocktails aboard a comfortable catamaran.
“Our experience was fantastic! 100% recommend!!! The crew was super attentive and a lot of fun. We made 3 stops. Snorkeling was great, we saw dolphins, and stopped and went paddleboarding. Even saw a sea turtle swimming as we floated by.” –Roger C., Apr 2022
- Discover Berlin Half-Day Walking Tour – Berlin, Germany: Experience Berlin’s past and present on this guided walking tour through the Mitte district. Visit landmarks from critical eras, stroll along the Berlin Wall, follow Unter den Linden to the Brandenburg Gate, check out the Reichstag, visit the Holocaust Memorial, and hear the stories of the Cold War at Checkpoint Charlie.
“Fabulous tour of many Berlin sights. Glad I booked, as it really helped to understand the historic significance of a number of things around the city which I wouldn’t have otherwise appreciated.” – Amit S., Apr 2022
- Walking Tour of Bath with Blue Badge Tourist Guide – Bath and North East Somerset, United Kingdom: This is a fantastic opportunity to be introduced to the World Heritage City of Bath by qualified guides. They will ensure you take away a full understanding of Bath, and show you the must-see highlights!
“Bath is absolutely beautiful, full of history and charm. Our Tour guide was amazing, he knew many anecdotes and answered our many questions with patience and humor. We loved it!” – Carlota P. Apr 2022
- Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour from Florence – Firenze, Italy: Explore the city of Siena and then take to the Chianti hills for a Tuscan lunch and wine tasting. Roam the streets of San Gimignano, and travel to Pisa to admire the architecture of Cathedral Square.
“Best Tour EVER! Our guide Gloria & driver Mateo were amazing! We had a fabulous time and I was genuinely sad when it ended. Gloria is so sweet and I felt like we were “friends” throughout although I had never met her till now. She is so knowledgeable and truly loves her job.” – Rita M., May 2022
- Best of Prague: City Walking Tour, Boat Cruise, and Typical Czech Lunch – Prague, Czech Republic: See Charles Bridge, Lesser Town, the Jewish Quarter, Old Town, and Prague Castle on this walking tour. The excursion includes a traditional Czech lunch and a boat cruise on the Vltava River.
“The tour was amazing. Our tour guide was Jana and she was super knowledgeable about every place we visited and about the history of Prague. She went at our pace, and took us to many points of interest. The restaurant she took us for lunch was great. We were really happy with this tour and it was worth every cent.” – Kenerma S., Apr 2022
Middle East & Africa
- 8-Hour Private Tour of the Pyramids, Egyptian Museum and Bazaar from Cairo – Cairo, Egypt: Experience Cairo’s ancient sites, artifacts, and a bustling bazaar. Ride a camel through the sand beside the pyramids at Giza, go toe-to-toe with the enigmatic Sphinx, visit the Egyptian Museum, then continue to the Khan el Khalili bazaar.
“Everything we did [on] the tour was exceptional. Skilled and knowledgeable tour guide, happy driver, fabulous day. I cannot single one thing out to be better than the other.” – Linda E., Apr 2022
Australia & New Zealand
- Sunset 3-Hour Cruise from Darwin with Dinner and Sparkling Wine – Darwin City, Australia: Aboard a large, ocean-going catamaran, sit under the sails or in the air-conditioned salon, and toast the setting sun with a glass of sparkling wine before enjoying a tapas/barbecue dinner.
“The crew were fabulous. The food was sensational and the alcohol kept flowing. We had a wonderful time. The sunset was magnificent and it was balmy and magical night. Most enjoyable way to spend our final day in Darwin. This tour really lived up to its promises.” – Kenneth M., Apr. 2022
Asia and Pacific Islands
- 6-hour Snorkeling & Lunch Tour – Moorea-Maiao, French Polynesia: Explore Moorea's lagoon in the traditional way – aboard a Polynesian outrigger canoe – during this excursion. Take in the scenery with a small group, go swimming and snorkeling, and arrive at a tiny islet for a local cooking lesson and a barbecue lunch.
“Wow! Where to begin? Personally, this tour is the best value in all of French Polynesia. For us we had 6 hours of nonstop enjoyment and fun with our guide Mr. Wilfred. He was the best tour guide we have ever had, and we now share memories that will last a lifetime.” – Tanner W., Apr. 2022
The Viator platform has more than 300,000 bookable experiences onsite. The final rankings are based on average review ratings, share of bookings with a review, and number of bookings on the Viator platform over a 12-month period (Jan-Dec 2021). The list is broken down by a ranked top 20 list per geographic region. Each winning product will receive an on-site badge indicating their award-winning status for 2022.
Vicky is the co-founder of TravelDailyNews Media Network where she is the Editor-in Chief. She is also responsible for the daily operation and the financial policy. She holds a Bachelor's degree in Tourism Business Administration from the Technical University of Athens and a Master in Business Administration (MBA) from the University of Wales.
She has many years of both academic and industrial experience within the travel industry. She has written/edited numerous articles in various tourism magazines.