There are few essentials in camping equipment and a camping knife is one of the top in the list. In the depths of a forest, a camping knife would be useful for more than just opening tin cans. These are necessary for repairing tents, gear, sleeping bags etc. Besides, if you want to start a quick fire, you can use your camping knife for chopping soft tinder.
Camping comes with all sorts of risks, from animals to robbers. You can use your knife to scare off any imminent dangerous living being. So, before you leave for your next camping journey, make sure to buy one of the recommended knives for best results in emergency circumstances.
Your camping knife should be worth the money and time.
● Foldable or fixed – Perhaps one of the preliminary decisions while buying a camping knife is whether you want the blade to be fixed or foldable. Fixed knife provides more strength and can easily be used for sturdy chores such as chopping timber.
● Anti-corrosive – Camping knives should be able to resist corrosion, sharpen without much hassle and do not become blunt after a few uses. Stronger steel stays sharp for a longer time but is prone to corrosion. On the other hand, softer steel such as stainless steel is a better choice.
● Size –Adventure blog suggests using a compact knife for camping instead of a knife with a huge blade. While large camping knives might appear lucrative, but it adds weight to your baggage. Besides, it might be difficult to handle a knife with a large blade. Easier to carry and smaller options are better in this regard.
● Working preferences – You will have to decide beforehand what you want to use your camping knife for before you buy one. Few campers use knives for cutting materials like wood, clothes, or vines.
Few use camping knives for preparing meals. People also use camping knives for building tents or acute situations. Therefore, it all comes down to individual preferences.
● Handle type – Handles in camping knives are made with an effort to offer excellent grip. Wood has outstanding grip but is prone to corrosion. Plastics can prove to be anti-corrosive but their grip reduces when wet.
Finally, rubber handles are anti-corrosive, provide great grip but have low durability. Aluminum or stainless steel handles feel cold in cold weather. Moreover, these also tend to lose grip when wet.
● Miscellaneous – Check whether or not your camping knife comes in a safety case. If not, make sure to buy one before you take it somewhere. Sharp edged camping knives might pierce a whole or cut through your materials.
Few camping knives have been designed to include a fire starter. Some of these also have serrated edges that smoothly cut thick materials. Certain features might appear unnecessary in the beginning but later turns out to be handy during the eleventh hour.
Since camping knives are one of the integral materials in your camping bag, be assured to buy one that gives you a holistic effect.