The Vacationer conducted a survey to find out how many Americans will travel this summer, if they will travel more than last summer, where they will travel, how many will fly, and how many plan on taking a road trip.
The anonymous survey included 1,096 American adults over the age of 18 and was conducted online using SurveyMonkey's interface/audience on our behalf on March 1, 2022. I, Eric Jones, analyzed the survey, and I am an Assistant Professor of Mathematics at Rowan College South Jersey.
- Nearly 81% (which is more than 208 million American adults) plan to travel this summer. In last year's summer survey, nearly 68% (or 173 million American adults) said they planned to travel, so there is going to be a significant increase in travel in 2022.
- Of the 81% who will travel, 45% say they will travel more than once while 36% will travel only once.
- More than 20% will travel internationally this summer despite Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
- More than 42% say they will travel more this summer than last. 46% say they will travel the same amount as last summer, while only 12% will travel less.
- Nearly 51% (or 131 million Americans) say they will fly at least once this summer. Of the 51%, nearly 23% will fly more than once.
- Nearly 80% will take some kind of road trip this summer.
Here are the full results:
1. Do you plan on traveling this summer?
- Yes, one time. - 36.04%
- Yes, more than once. - 44.80%
- No. - 19.16%
Key Takeaway - Nearly 81% of American adults intend to travel this summer. The 80.84% of people that responded yes equates to more than 208 million American adults according to the latest census. Additionally, the 80.84% is a combination of the 36.04% that said they would travel one time this summer. It also includes the 44.80% that said they would travel more than once.
2. Where will you travel this summer?
- I won’t travel this summer. - 19.62%
- Domestically only. - 59.95%
- Internationally only. - 6.66%
- Both Domestically and Internationally. - 13.78%
Key Takeaway - More than 20% of American adults will travel internationally this summer. Despite concerns from Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, many Americans intend to leave the country. The 20.44% of American adults who will travel abroad this summer represent nearly 53 million people. Additionally, nearly 60% of Americans will travel within the country only. This 59.95% represents over 154 million more people.
3. How much traveling will you do this summer compared to last summer?
- More than Last Summer. - 42.06%
- The Same as Last Summer. - 46.08%
- Less than Last Summer. - 11.86%
Key Takeaway - More than 42% of American adults will travel more this summer than last summer. The 42.06% represents over 108 million people. This many Americans planning to travel more this summer is a clear indication that we are beginning to move beyond COVID. Many people thought last summer was the year of “Revenge Travel” when only 25% of people in our survey said they would travel more once COVID was over. However, the data suggests summer 2022 will be when more Americans get revenge.
4. Will you travel on a plane this summer?
- Yes, one time. - 28.10%
- Yes, more than once. - 22.72%
- No. - 49.18%
Key Takeaway - More than half of American adults will travel on a plane this summer. The 50.82% that said this accounts for nearly 131 million Americans. The 50.82% also is broken up into 28.10% that say they intend to fly on a plane once this summer and 22.72% that say they intend to fly on a plane more than once.
5. Will you take a road trip this summer?
- No. - 20.07%
- Yes, within 100 miles of my home. - 18.70%
- Yes, within 250 miles of my home. - 21.35%
- Yes, within 500 miles of my home. - 21.53%
- Yes, within 1,000 miles of my home. - 11.59%
- Yes, more than 1,000 miles from my home. - 6.75%
Key Takeaway - Nearly 80% of American adults say they will take some sort of road trip this summer. The 79.93% represents about 206 million Americans. Of those people, 18.34% of them or 47 million Americans will road trip more than 500 miles from home. Also, 6.75% or 17 million Americans say they will road trip more than 1,000 miles from home.