MÁLAGA, SPAIN – Seatrade Cruise Awards, the premier awards programme for the cruise industry, made its announcement of this year’s winners during the Seatrade Cruise Med Welcome Reception on 14 September 2022.
“Serving as more than just an award scheme, the Seatrade Cruise Awards are a benchmark that continues to push the boundaries of the cruise industry in excellence and innovation,” says Mary Bond, Group Director of Seatrade Cruise. “We proudly honour and celebrate our 2022 winners for their incredible achievements that are leading the way for industry-wide development.”
The selection of winners was judged by an independent panel of 15 judges that features the leading voices from the international cruise community from key sectors that include hospitality, operations, marketing and technology that range from editors to professors, consultants to principals, managing directors to chief executive officers and are representatives from V. Ships Leisure, CHART Management Consultants, Pace University, Cruise Baltic, LizGammon.com, Cruise Planners, Jacoby Advisors, MedCruise, Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) Europe, Seatrade Cruise Review, Oracle Hospitality, Cruise Europe, Ocean Technologies Group.
The awards were presented by Mary Bond, Group Director of Seatrade Cruise.
The winners of the awards are listed below:
- Award: Destination of the Year | Winner: Port of Taranto, Italy
- Award: Expedition Cruise Initiative of the Year | Winner: Hapag Lloyd Cruises’ Finnish and Swedish Lapland Expedition
- Award: Innovative Shorex of the Year | Winner: Abercrombie & Kent (Akorn) – Mombasa: Past and Present
- Award: Investment in People Award | Winner: Carnival Cruise Line’s DEI, Learning and Community Initiatives
- Award: Port of the Year | Winner: Galataport Istanbul
- Award: Product of the Year | Winner: Climeon - HeatPower 300 Marine Technology
- Award: Sustainability Initiative of the Year | Winner: Environmental Port Index
- Award: MedCruise Award | Winner: The Black Sea Ports (Burgas, Bulgaria; Constantza, Romania; Odesa, Ukraine; Trabzon, Turkey and Varna, Bulgaria)
- Award: Seatrade Outstanding Achievement Award | Winner: Claus Bødker Cruise Baltic & Cruise Copenhagen
- Award: Seatrade Cruise Personality of the Year | Winner: Chris Theophilides, CEO, Celestyal Cruises
"It's a huge honor, especially at a time where the perseverance of the cruise industry has been tested," said Chris Theophilides, CEO, Celestyal Cruises. "The whole industry has a great benefit of an excellent number of executives – it is a huge honor to work amongst them the last two years, and it's very humbling to be singled out and awarded this accolade."
With sustainability high on everyone’s agenda, for the third year in a row, the Seatrade Cruise Awards are made from Beech which are PEFC certified and come from sustainable resources.