FORT LAUDERDALE, FLA. – A new survey of U.S. travelers released by HomeToGo, reveals that Americans are still interested in getting away this summer, however, without breaking the bank. With more than two-thirds (70%) of survey respondents expressing the desire to save money while traveling in 2022, travelers are seeking out clever ways to make the most of their vacation budgets by visiting lesser-known destinations, traveling with larger groups, avoiding long holiday weekends and more.
“With inflation and rising fuel prices, our latest survey indicates that travelers who are longing for adventure are opting for budget-friendly travel options that maximize their summer vacations, but minimize costs,” said Caroline Burns, Head of PR and Travel Expert at HomeToGo. “We want to help travelers book their ideal vacation rental by sharing how they can stretch their dollars while still enjoying a memorable summer with their loved ones.”
HomeToGo’s ‘Summer of Savvy Travel’ Study - based on an external survey and internal search demand data - highlights the five main ways Americans are planning to travel for less this summer:
- Tactic #1: Visiting Lesser-Known Destinations – Travelers are saving this year by passing on popular tourist destinations in favor of lesser-known hidden gems. 81% of travelers surveyed would rather find lesser-known destinations versus famous tourist destinations.
- Tactic #2: Mixing Work and Play – To save, travelers are booking a large home with fellow remote workers to bring down the nightly cost per person. Vacation homes that accommodate four or more guests can bring down the median nightly price per person to $84. More than half (57%) of surveyed travelers are choosing to bring their work on vacation this year.
- Tactic #3: Booking with Larger Groups and Longer Stays – Travelers are not only booking larger accommodations to share with their family and friends, as 42% of travelers said they will be taking trips with more than one travel companion this year, they are also opting for a longer stay to bring the nightly rate down. HomeToGo’s data finds that the average length of stay this summer is 8.56 days.
- Tactic #4: Traveling During Off-Peak Times – Travelers are utilizing HomeToGo’s ‘Flexible Dates’ feature to explore off-peak day pricing and find the cheapest offers. In fact, 40% of travelers expressed less desire to travel during long holiday weekends compared to last year.
- Tactic #5: Spending Where it Matters Most – 48% of survey respondents are most willing to go-all-out, or spend more, on experiences as part of their vacation. This is closely followed by food and drink, which 30% of survey respondents chose as their splurge-worthy vacation vice.