Findings are based on research conducted by HomeToGo among a general population sample of 3,000 respondents in total, 500 per market (US, UK, DE, ES, IT, FR). To participate in this survey, respondents had to be 18 or older. The survey was conducted on 13 August 2023.
FORT LAUDERDALE, FLA. – HomeToGo, the vacation rentals marketplace, released its 2023/24 Autumn Winter Travel Forecast, revealing the trends that are shaping vacation plans for American and European travelers. Nearly three-quarters (72%) of travelers surveyed are planning trips for this autumn and winter – a significant jump compared to 55% in 2022/2023.
International travel is also in line for another boost: Nearly half (49%) of surveyed travelers planning getaways for this autumn and winter are looking for stays abroad, with HomeToGo also seeing a +10pp YoY* increase in the share of searches for international destinations.
velers searching for sun and winter fun are not going at it alone, with HomeToGo seeing the average number of guests being searched for autumn and winter trips increase by 20% YoY (3 guests on average). Moreover, nearly one-quarter (23%) of surveyed travelers said they would be with a group or their families.
Dr. Patrick Andrae, Co-founder & CEO, HomeToGo, says: “We are very excited to release our latest travel forecast, which shows that the upcoming autumn – typically the off-season – has increasingly become a busy shoulder season, as travelers take advantage of fewer crowds, cooler temperatures plus more affordable prices. The share of search interest for international travel is booming compared to last year, particularly around seasonal musts such as our personal favorite – Oktoberfest – and European holiday markets this coming winter. What makes the season ahead especially intriguing is how travelers continue to tap into AI to plan their trips. As an AI-powered marketplace with our latest innovation on our App, AI Mode, we are uniquely positioned to help guests intuitively find their uniquely perfect rental for the season ahead through generative AI. We look forward to continuing to be at the forefront of this exciting innovation in travel!”
Informed by insights gathered from travelers using HomeToGo to book autumn-winter vacations, as well as an external survey of U.S. and international travelers, the additional key trends and developments include:
- Looking to save on their autumn and winter escapes: 70% of travelers said they have more desire to save money while traveling compared to previous years.
- How travelers are planning to get savvy with spending: Those travelers looking to save on costs are booking more in advance, traveling outside of peak season and cooking meals at their vacation homes.
- Autumn Intelligence: More travelers turn to AI to help their trip planning – 63% of American and European travelers surveyed said they are considering using artificial intelligence tools, such as HomeToGo’s AI Mode, to help them plan their autumn and winter vacations.
- Travelers setting their sights on Summer 2024: Looking ahead, 40% of travelers have started planning trips for Summer 2024.
Specific autumn winter trends for U.S. travelers
- U.S. travelers are especially keen to get away: 88% of travelers say that they plan to take at least one overnight trip this autumn and winter.
- Holidays in the hills: American travelers are more eager to visit mountain destinations (48%) this autumn and winter, followed by picturesque small towns (38%) and bustling cities (33%) for weekend getaways.**
- Snow much to explore: When asked about their ideal travel experiences this fall and winter, American travelers said they would most like to visit holiday markets (51%), celebrate Oktoberfest (32%), and see the northern lights (31%), followed by spending their vacations on a beach (25%).**
Most Searched Autumn Winter Getaways by U.S. Travelers
|Search Rank||Destination||Total Median Nightly Price|
|#1||Gulf Shores, Alabama||$385.35|
|#3||Panama City Beach, Florida||$271.38|
* Based on the annual increase in the share of international to domestic searches. The share is calculated by taking the total number of international searches divided by the total number of searches.
**Respondents were able to provide multiple responses for these survey questions.
Vicky is the co-founder of TravelDailyNews Media Network where she is the Editor-in Chief. She is also responsible for the daily operation and the financial policy. She holds a Bachelor's degree in Tourism Business Administration from the Technical University of Athens and a Master in Business Administration (MBA) from the University of Wales.
She has many years of both academic and industrial experience within the travel industry. She has written/edited numerous articles in various tourism magazines.