Global Exhibitions Day (GED) 2023 continues to serve as the single largest day of awareness and advocacy for the exhibitions industry
GED messaging again reached more than 100 countries and regions. Next year’s GED will take place on Wednesday 5 June 2024.
PARIS – The eighth edition of Global Exhibitions Day (GED) took place on 7 June 2023, celebrating and highlighting the importance of exhibitions for all industries and societies. In an extraordinary comeback from the pandemic slump, exhibitions have emerged as a driving force that propels economies, fosters connections, and ignites innovation.
Under the theme “We run the meeting places and marketplaces for everyone”, this year’s GED campaign focused on the role exhibitions play as a facilitator in developing industries, delivering strong economic and social benefits, offering a platform to work on solutions to the climate crisis, and providing a sustainable way of doing business.
GED 2023 reached newer, wider audiences, showcasing the scale and reach of the industry. It demonstrated that everyone in the exhibitions industry – from individuals to businesses, from organisers to associations – has a role to play in shaping the global meeting and marketplaces for customers of the future.
In the lead-up to the day and during, according to UFI’s initial numbers*, GED activities reached audiences in more than 100 countries and regions just online alone, with over 3,000 pieces of unique content – through social media posts, messages, and comments. Globally, thousands used the #GED2023 hashtag to share their passion for exhibitions and to exhibit the power of the industry to create lasting, global impact.
The campaign activated endorsements from government officials across the world, including Hong Kong SAR, Italy, Malaysia, Oman, the U.S. State of Nevada, and Spain. These relationships are vital to advocate for the exhibition industry on a higher scale.
Leading global organisers Clarion Events, Comexposium, Emerald, Informa, RX, and many others, weighed in on the significance of the industry in driving innovation, fostering connections, and creating value for businesses. Industry associations from around the world came together to share the importance of GED and to encourage others in their respective countries to participate.
Michael Duck, 2023 UFI President, said: “It is so wonderful to see our community celebrating Global Exhibitions Day around the world to emphasise the incredible impact of exhibitions on our economy, society, and the environment. GED 2023 has reinforced the importance of face-to-face interactions as we see the campaign come to life with receptions, annual meetings, outdoor activities, team photos, and countless other activations globally. Congratulations to each and every one of you for your unwavering commitment and passion to the exhibitions industry.”
Individuals and organisations globally coming together to host a kaleidoscope of events and activities, and sharing their story in honour of GED 2023, is a testament to our industry facilitating the meeting place and marketplace for everyone. Some of these activations can be found on the GED website.
Associations supporting #GED2023: AAXO, AEFI, AEO, AEV, AFE, AFECA, AFIDA, AIFEC, AKEI, AMEREF, AMPROFEC, AOCA, APPCE, AUIEC, AFEP, ABEOC, AUDOCA, AUMA, BICEIA, CAEC, CEFA, CENTREX, CLC VECTA, CFI, EEAA, ECA, EDPA, EEIA, EFU, EMECA, ESCA, ESSA, EXSA, FAIRLINK, FEBELUX,, FKM, fwd, GDFOA, HKECIA, IDFA, IECA, IEIA, IELA, IEOA, IFES, JEO, LECA, MACEOS, MECA, MFTA, MSM, ON-GO, PCEI, SACEOS, SBE, SCEIA, SECA, SISO, SOKEE, SLAPCEO, SZCEA, TCEA, TEA, TECA, TFOA, UBRAFE and UNIMEV.
Clarion Events, Comexposium, Emerald, Informa Markets, and Reed Exhibitions (RX) joined forces on a UFI media alert highlighting exhibitions as the driving force behind the marketplaces of the future with an emphasis on evolving customer experience.
GED2023 Campaign Partner was TEMBO.
Highlights of GED 2023 by region
- Bangkok International Trade & Exhibition Centre (BITEC) created a photo collage featuring their four key values.
- Exhibition & Event Association of Australasia hosted a GED networking event after their Annual General Meeting and a special
- Australian Business Events Association (ABEA) presentation at the Royal Randwick Racecourse in Sydney, Australia.
- Exhibition Showcase Magazine interviewed Sonia Prashar, Indian Exhibition Industry Association (IEIA) President and Deputy Director General, Indo-German Chamber of Commerce in quick-fire session on the thrills of the exhibition industry.
- Hong Kong Exhibition & Convention Industry Association (HKECIA) organised their annual conference and dinner at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre with The Honourable Bernard Charnwut Chan, GBM, GBS, JP, Chairman, Board of M+ Museum as a special guest. They also had panel sessions on talent and manpower, artificial intelligence sustainability and advocacy.
- Indian Exhibition Industry Association (IEIA) spearheaded a national campaign “We run the most effective meeting places and market places for everyone” and organised a Networking Hi-Tea at the RE Walker & JC Chandiok Library, PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry in New Delhi, India.
- Informa Markets in Asia featured videos from Michael Duck, UFI President and Informa Markets EVP Commercial Development and Amy So, Program Director of Asia Sustainability on the economic and social benefits of exhibitions.
- Macau Fair & Trade Association (MFTA) launched a low-carbon action mini-program for MICE, signed an MOU on “Carbon Inclusive Promotion in Macao Academies” and a scholarship agreement with the Macau University of Science and Technology for MICE students.
- Malaysia Convention & Exhibition Bureau (MyCEB) celebrated the strong comeback of exhibitions in Malaysia with a video featuring remarks from their Chair, Datuk Hajah Saraya Arbi, Secretary General, Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture Malaysia.
- Shenyang New World EXPO shared a team photo celebrating the day.
- Singapore Association of Convention & Exhibition Organisers & Suppliers (SACEOS) organised a beach clean-up at East Coast Park to make our environment a cleaner and greener place for all.
- Thailand Exhibition Association (TEA) and TCEB Thailand Exhibition jointly hosted a special discussion on the theme of “The New Frontier of Exhibitions” at Sapphire 202 IMPACT Forum. Topics included regenerative exhibitions, technology and innovation for exhibitions, and the changing landscape of exhibitions.
- VNU Asia Pacific celebrated with a video on the power of their people, one of whom included 2023 UFI Next Generation Leadership Grant winner Tehchad Kittiboonya.
- Accademia Fiera Milano paid a tribute to young women who studied or are studying to enter the world of exhibitions.
- AEO Association of Event Organisers CEO Chris Skeith OBE shared his thoughts on the power of exhibitions.
- AEFI – Italian Exhibition & Trade Fair Association held a special event, celebrating its 40th anniversary on GED around the key themes of internationalisation and tourism. Its celebration included speeches by Maurizio Danese, AEFI President; Matteo Zoppas, President of ITA – Italian Trade Agency; and Daniela Santanché, Italian Minister of Tourism.
- AFE – Spanish Trade Fairs Association held a virtual board meeting and provided a statement from Spanish Minister of Industry, Trade and Tourism, Héctor Gómez.
- Association of Trade Fair and Event Organizers in Finland circulated a press release stating the strong growth in trade fair activity with almost 250 percent growth in income and employment in 2022 over 2021.
- AUMA – Association of the German Trade Fair Industry circulated a special edition of their newsletter AUMA Compact celebrating three days of Global Exhibitions Day with a focus on sustainability, starting with UN World Environment Day on 5 June 2023.
- Comexposium shared a post celebrating their passion for creating extraordinary experiences.
- Clarion Events celebrated the economic impact of exhibitions.
- Exhibitions World ran a social media campaign in collaboration with InGo.
- FEBELUX organised their Connecting Day 2023 + Algemene Vergadering followed by a fun networking dinner celebrating GED at the Salons van Dijck in Mechelen, Belgium.
- Fiera Milano shared their Sustainability Report 2022 and affirmed their commitment to the Net Zero Carbon Events initiative to reduce their environmental impact.
- fwd: Bundesvereinigung Veranstaltungswirtschaft focused on sustainability in their GED video.
- IFEMA Madrid shared a video highlighting the value of the global trade fair industry.
- Informa Markets gave a spotlight on their recent Informa Awards where they celebrated and recognized the incredible talent within our business.
- International Exhibition and Convention Centre EXPO Krakow shared a video of their team sharing their thoughts on creating exhibitions.
- International Exhibition Logistics Association (IELA) ran a social media campaign with their members to highlight the critical role of exhibition logistics companies.
- International Federation of Exhibition & Event Services (IFES) celebrated with their members all around the world with a photo collage.
- Iteca Exhibitions in Uzbekistan shared a team photo to celebrate the day.
- Quartz Business Media created a ‘’Future of Exhibitions’’ campaign featuring stakeholders and their thoughts on the next 10 years of the industry.
- The NEC, Birmingham launched their #HereForBusiness campaign to highlight the positive impact of the exhibition industry on UK trade.
- Union Française des Métiers de l’Événement (UNIMEV/ French Meeting Industry Council) organised a run at the Chesnaie du Roy pavilion in Paris, France.
Middle East & Africa
- Association of African Exhibition Organisers (AAXO) circulated a press release to celebrate the power of connection and collaboration on Global Exhibitions Day. A members-only GED panel was also held at the Gallagher Convention Centre in Midrand, Gauteng.
- Cape Town & Western Cape Convention Bureau featured thought leaders and their views on the economic and environmental value of the exhibitions industry.
- Conceptz Ghana Events & AV posted their celebrations.
- Djazagro shared a team photo greeting from Algiers.
- Hannover Fairs Turkey Fuarcılık A.Ş. shared greetings from their portfolio events, such as DOMOTEX Turkey and WIN EURASIA.
- Istanbul Expo Center celebrated everyone who contributes to the organization of a fair.
- Oman Convention & Exhibition Centre CEO Said Salilm Al Shanfari and Oman Undersecretary of Heritage & Tourism H.E. Azzan Al Busaidi met at IMEX Frankfurt with UFI CEO Kai Hattendorf discussing the impact and value of the exhibitions industry.
- Qatar Tourism posted a video celebrated the diversity of exhibitions held across Qatar.
- Saudi Conventions & Exhibitions General Authority celebrated the power of innovation, creativity and global collaboration, and affirmed their commitment to develop the exhibitions sector
- Asociacion Internacional de Ferias de America (AFIDA) held its 52nd Annual Congress at the FEXPOCRUZ in Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia, coinciding with GED.
- Asociacion Mexicana de Recintos Feriales (AMEREF) and La Asociación Mexicana de Profesionales en Exposiciones, Ferias y Convenciones (AMPROFEC), with the support of over 24 industry partners, organised a panel to celebrate GED 2023 at the Expo Guadalajara, Mexico.
- Cluster MICE Tegucigalpa celebrated their first year anniversary together with GED with a fun video at the InterContinental Hotel Tegucigalpa.
- Emerald recognized the pivotal role of the exhibition industry in facilitating meaningful connections and interactive moments for their customers and communities.
- Eventia celebrated with a social post.
- Exhibitions & Conferences Alliance (ECA) assembled nearly 100 industry leaders and advocates from 24 states on Capitol Hill as part of Legislative Action Day in Washington DC. Attendees focused on three policy areas where Congress can take on a leadership role to help advance the business events industry and support the small businesses who rely on our exhibitions, conferences, and trade shows. UFI CEO Kai Hattendorf, together with eight other industry representatives met with Nevada Senator Catherine Cortez Cortez-Masto and other Nevada state officials.
- Exhibition Place Toronto celebrated with a team video.
- InGo ran a social media campaign in collaboration with Exhibition World to drive GED activations across the world.
- Meet4Impact shone a light on Intermoda’s strides to creating a sustainability and legacy strategy that sparks social and environmental impact through their event.
- Momentus Technologies shared a an article on best practices to delight exhibitors and visitors at exhibitions and trade shows.
- RLA LATAM with offices in Chile, Colombia, Perú and Panama shared a video celebrating the day.
- RX Mexico celebrated the day alongside their monthly sales meeting.
Tatiana is the news coordinator for TravelDailyNews Media Network (traveldailynews.gr, traveldailynews.com and traveldailynews.asia). Her role includes monitoring the hundreds of news sources of TravelDailyNews Media Network and skimming the most important according to our strategy.
She holds a Bachelor's degree in Communication & Mass Media from Panteion University of Political & Social Studies of Athens and she has been editor and editor-in-chief in various economic magazines and newspapers.