As people start to travel more, travel UX becomes more of an issue.
Mitto’s messaging innovations have transformed hundreds of companies since its founding in 2013. But so much has changed globally since the company first came into the market, including the aftermath of the COVID-19 pandemic. The pandemic completely altered the way that customers interact with industries, but it had an additional impact on the travel industries, who were faced not only with a change in communication preference, but a need to enhance their customer’s sense of security. The inability to travel in unrestricted capacities restricted travel-based companies for well over two years. Some may argue that the travel industry is not at the same capacity as it was before. But as people start to travel more, travel UX becomes more of an issue.
Over 60% of Americans now plan to spend their money and time traveling after the pandemic, and companies are finding new and innovative ways to improve customer experience. Mitto plays a role in that. The company is working its magic on the travel industry by leveraging its omnichannel solutions to elevate global and domestic travel for airlines, hotels, and their customers. Mitto has enhanced guest interactions, streamlined operations, and contributed to an exceptional customer experience for some of the most well-known airlines and hotels in the world.
Communication in a different world
2020 was a turning point for customer-facing conversations, and online purchasing proved this in a big way. Customers expected better and quicker communication as they worked from home and remained isolated from others. As brick-and-mortar shops reopened with quarantine lifting, the impacts of this change in communication remained, and no industry felt it quite as hard as the travel industry.
The same issues that faced customers before the pandemic still face customers today. Research from Mitto shows that nearly 65% of Americans recently experienced a flight delay. During peak travel times, like Labor Day weekend, over half of travelers said they expected those delays. The expectation of delays shows that those delays are not something that completely turn a customer away from traveling. However, there are some issues that could turn customers away from brands. Mitto’s research found that a good customer experience can make all the difference.
But what exactly makes the difference between a good customer experience and a bad one? Surveys say — the speed and efficacy of customer-brand interactions. Of the same travelers surveyed above, 90% mentioned that they would avoid a travel brand while traveling in the future if they received poor customer service, and 30-42% said they would completely avoid the brand even if they had no alternative. Similar statistics stood out for hotel brands.
Of the customer support interactions that stood out, the airline and hotel brands that did the best optimized customer support for quick fixes to big problems, shortened wait times, and the ability to communicate over SMS. Unfortunately, many airlines lack the tools to make SMS communication a reality.
Andrea Giacomini recently spoke about this: “Our research shows quality customer support would create a better experience even in the face of flight delays and other vacation disruptions.” He said. “ It is critical that the travel and hospitality industries understand the preferences of travelers and adopt a wide range of communication channels to be able to connect with customers on the channels they prefer and create these positive interactions.”
How Mitto helps with post-pandemic pain points
Enter brands like Mitto. Mitto’s omnichannel messaging solutions have significantly improved guest & vendor interactions in the travel sector, especially in a post-pandemic world. For example, a traveler might start a conversation with a chatbot on the airline’s website and then continue the interaction via a messaging app. This continuity of communication ensures that travelers don’t have to repeat information and can pick up where they left off, resulting in a more cohesive and efficient customer experience.
Personalized interactions start from the moment customers interact with companies via their app. Through personalized and timely communication, Mitto enables travel companies to engage with their customers in meaningful ways. Furthermore, Mitto’s omnichannel approach enables seamless transitions between different apps and messages. They receive booking confirmations for hotels and airlines, itinerary details, and travel updates via SMS, email, and messaging apps. By providing essential information at the right time, Mitto ensures travelers feel informed and valued throughout their journey and help industries minimize pain points, like cart abandonment and poor customer experiences during travel time.
Some other ways in which Mitto has helped brands like the travel industry include:
- Maintaining a consistent brand experience: Mitto gives consumers one seamless, unified platform for all customer interactions. This helps build brand identity and messaging across all channels, including websites, social media, email, and mobile apps by maintaining a consistent voice. It also builds trust and recognition, helping customers feel more comfortable and confident during the booking process.
- Personalization: Mitto’s tools help companies safely utilize customer data and tailor marketing messages and offers for unique customers. For instance, if a customer abandons a hotel booking, brands can send them personalized email reminders with special discounts or incentives via Mitto’s communication platform, which encourages them to complete the booking but also establishes a rapport with the brand.
- Mobile optimization: Given the now unavoidable use of mobile devices for travel bookings (airline, car rentals, and hotels), Mitto’s platform ensures the booking process is fully optimized for mobile users.
- Easy data utilization: Mitto’s tools allow travel industries to leverage user-generated content, reviews and testimonials, and brand interaction data to create a better experience that takes into account customer likes and dislikes. It also allows brands to implement dynamic pricing strategies that adjust prices based on demand, availability, and user behavior. This can create a sense of urgency and encourage customers to complete bookings before prices increase and help hotels and airlines keep their services booked, benefiting both the airline or hotel and the customer.
- Cross-channel data integration: As well as utilizing customer behavior from one site, Mitto’s solutions help companies analyze data across different channels to create a comprehensive view of customer behavior. This data can help companies better understand patterns, preferences, and pain points and optimize marketing strategies accordingly.
- Fostering customer loyalty: All the perks of data integration, customer interaction, and more allow brands to create loyalty programs, offering rewards and discounts to customers who book frequently and often, which further incentivizes repeat business and reduces cart abandonment rates.
Moreover, Mitto’s innovations extend to enhancing customer service interactions. Through intelligent chatbots and automated messaging, travelers can receive instant responses to queries about flight details, baggage allowances, and travel policies. This not only reduces the workload on customer service agents but also empowers travelers with quick and accurate information, enhancing their overall experience.
Mitto’s SMS API solutions in action
Recently, Mitto showcased a travel industry win for one of the highest rated, low-cost airlines in Europe who adopted Mitto’s SMS API Solutions. Mitto and the airline wanted to find a way to increase customer satisfaction regarding mission-critical alerts to their customers while they were traveling. Unfortunately, the airlines communications services prior to working with Mitto had not provided reliable customer updates. Unfortunately, this cost the company. So, Mitto stepped in to help.
Because of the nature of international travel, traditional SMS solutions were not always the best way to notify customers of delays, gate changes, cancellations, or other common travel issues. So, utilizing Mitto’s platform allowed the company to optimize messages for customers based on their communication preferences, and used AI to aid in recognizing the best way to get ahold of customers. Mitto’s partnerships with global MNOs optimized travel stability in every region in which the airline serves. This not only boosted customer satisfaction, but it also cut down on the company’s costs.
This is not the only time that Mitto has provided such a service to a travel company, and it certainly won’t be the last. Mitto’s messaging innovations have transformed the travel industry by introducing omnichannel solutions that enhance guest interactions, streamline airline & hotel operations, and contribute to exceptional customer experiences that bring consumers back to major travel brands. Through personalized, streamlined communication via an omnichannel approach, Mitto has elevated travel experiences for both guests and airlines.