Aeromexico announces the start of service on two new seasonal routes to Central America and the Caribbean from Mexico City. Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic and Liberia in Costa Rica are the new destinations that the carrier will add to its route network as of November 2 and 10 this year, respectively.
Aeromexico has served the Central American market for more than 11 years, and currently offers one flight per day to Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic and two flights per day to San Jose in Costa Rica, two countries that are steadily increasing their bilateral trade relations with Mexico.
Punta Cana, located on the east side of the Dominican Republic, is the perfect destination for travelers who want to enjoy the unique beaches, white sand, and turquoise waves that make this place a paradise. With its all-inclusive hotels, casinos, nightlife and 11 golf courses located along the coast, this destination offers all the amenities required to enjoy and disconnect.
For its part, the Dominican Republic has become Mexico’s leading investment destination in the Caribbean, and in 2017, the two nations created the Mexico-Dominican Republic Binational Business and Services Chamber to promote trade and investments between both countries.
On the other hand, Liberia, located in the province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica, features a wide variety of visitor services, such as hotels, restaurants, local cuisine, and nightlife. This destination is considered a reunion point in Guanacaste, as it permits easy access and travel to unique ecotourism spots, such as beaches on the Pacific Ocean and the country’s national parks.
Mexico is the second country on the American Continent with the highest foreign direct investment in Costa Rica, after the United States. There are currently 37 Mexican companies with operations in that destination. Mexico and the United States signed a Free Trade Agreement in 1994 that has made it possible to expedite trade, which in recent years has grown at an average rate of eight percent per year.
Aeromexico will serve both routes with two flights per week utilizing its Embraer 190 aircraft with 99 passenger seats, with 11 in Clase Premier, the Aeromexico business class cabin.
Aeromexico’s Chief Revenue Officer Anko van der Werff said “These routes represent the hard work Aeromexico is doing to offer a better product to our customers, as this will be the first time that Mexico City is connected directly to Liberia and Punta Cana. Our clients will also be able to travel to or leave the Dominican Republic and Costa Rica through either of their two destinations, further strengthening connectivity options to provide a unique travel experience.”
Thanks to the opening of these new destinations, Aeromexico increases its offer to leisure routes for its customers, featuring the best schedules to connect Mexico, the United States, and Canada with Punta Cana and Liberia.
Aeromexico in Central America and the Caribbean
- First destination in Central America: Honduras since 2007.
- First destination in the Caribbean: Havana since 2010.
- Aeromexico will now offer flight services to a total of ten destinations in Central America and the Caribbean, including El Salvador, Guatemala, Havana, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, San Jose and Liberia in Costa Rica, and Punta Cana and Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic.
- The carrier started to serve the San Jose, Costa Rica market in 2010 and currently offers two flights per day to this destination.
- Aeromexico started to serve the Santo Domingo market in 2016 and currently offers one flight per day to this destination.
- The airline offers close to 210 flights per week that connect Mexico with Central America and the Caribbean, with more than 23,000 seats per week.
- During 2017, Aeromexico carried 16% more passengers between Mexico, Central America,and the Caribbean, compared to 2016.