Here’s what you should know about vacationing in Gatlinburg in December.
Winter vacations are more popular than you imagine. Statistics have indicated that almost one-fourth of Americans prefer to embark upon a journey in winter. Moreover, 70% of people planned different trips in March 2020 for the next twelve months. So, where can you head to escape the monotony of your life and enjoy some time vacationing? There’s no need to leave the country to have a good time with the family. America has plenty of places where tourists are welcomed during the Christmas holidays with a warm cup of joe, comfy cabins, and several fun-filled activities. One of these places is Gatlinburg, where your family can engage in different leisure activities today and spend a memorable time vacationing.
Important facts for Gatlinburg-bound vacationers
Should you visit Gatlinburg in winter? Many visitors are discouraged by the "off-season" at Gatlinburg as some attractions – Dollywood, for instance – are closed. This off-season starts in January and lasts until March. So, Gatlinburg welcomes fewer tourists in the off-season, but it's pretty crowded. However, your family can visit Gatlinburg before January when all attractions are open and snowcapped mountains are there for sightseeing. All these resort towns, such as Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, are booming with lots of tourists in winter. You can participate in several amazing festivals and enjoy engaging in many crazy activities too. So, here's what you should know about vacationing in Gatlinburg in December:
1. Winter weather
What’s the weather like in Gatlinburg this time of year? You should realize that the average temperature will lie between 48°F and 54°F degrees. In other words, prepare yourself for a 9°C climate at Gatlinburg. When planning a vacation to Gatlinburg in December, remember that the weather is cold enough to account for snowfall. This town can receive 1 inch of snowfall this month. So, tourists plan a vacation by considering the frosty weather, snowfall, and the right clothes to bring there.
2. Packing essentials
Since a winter vacation requires tourists to wear different clothes, it's better to pack for the season. You shouldn't forget about packing all essentials to make your visit to Gatlinburg comfortable and successful. For instance, forgetting your meds, phone charger, or other necessary objects can make the trip uneventful and boring. For instance, some people forget to bring extra layers and have to sit through a chilly Gatlinburg vacation. So, do you know how to pack right? Get these things:
- The right supply of clothes, such as coats, scarves, gloves, sweaters, bathing suits, and thermal underwear
- Some snacks to consume while traveling there
- Some board games to pass the time
- Athletic shoes or hiking boots
3. Events, activities, and stuff to do
Gatlinburg remains famous because of its wonder, splendor, and festivities. Its holiday traditions are constant throughout the year, and even the off-season doesn't lack most of Gatlinburg's charm. So, tourists should remember to engage in the thrilling activities mentioned below. Moreover, you must spend your time participating in some of the famous festivals taking place in winter. We have listed a few of these festivities and activities here. You can entertain yourself and yourself by visiting:
- Fantastic Christmas lights:- During Winterfest, Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are covered with a whopping 5 million lights that turn these towns into snow-filled Christmas-ready wonderlands to marvel at for sightseers. So, don't forget to check out these amazing lights when visiting the city of Gatlinburg in December. This illumination makes a winter vacation at Gatlinburg memorable. Moreover, you can take some stunning pictures with your family in Gatlinburg too.
- Many indoor attractions:- Let's begin with some indoor attractions available for visitors at Gatlinburg. So, even if you detest going outside because of the cold, there's a lot of stuff to keep yourself entertained. You can consider visiting the Ober Gatlinburg or the famous Ripley's Aquarium. Many attractions are scattered throughout the resort town of Gatlinburg, and visitors can have a great time touring it in winter. So, pack your bags and go nuts this winter!
- Shopping in Gatlinburg:- A snowy holiday in Gatlinburg shouldn't prevent you from shopping in this amazing town and collecting some memoirs to remember this vacation. There are kitschy shops in many shopping malls where visitors can buy souvenirs for their friends back home. There are plenty of stores in Gatlinburg where tourists have found amazing gifts nobody sells elsewhere. Thus, leverage this opportunity to buy something to make you proud later.
- New Year festivities:- You can participate in many New Year-related celebrations held in Gatlinburg every December. Celebrating the advent of 2023 with your folks in this cold town will be a memorable event in your life. You can see the Fantasy of Lights Parade and be there for the ball-dropping event. Also, Dollywood is just nine miles away in Pigeon Forge, and December is the last month it's opened. You can now save some time by visiting that theme park as well.
- Tunes and Tales:- After Thanksgiving, the Tunes and Tales nights began in which musicians and storytellers crowd the streets of Gatlinburg every weekend to narrate legends of the past. It’ll be like visiting the past and reliving the 19th century right before your eyes! These merry people will spread the cheer of Christmas to every native and tourist for the next four weekends. And these live street performances can also be an amazing adventure for adults and children alike.
- Drink some moonshine:- One of Gatlinburg's delicacies involves moonshine. You can find many distilleries and tasting centers where tourists can check out some decent flavors. So, many visitors head to the famous Ole Smoky Moonshine distillery, where visitors can pay merely $5 to taste The Holler's amazing brew. If you wish to take a bottle of authentic Tennessee wine home, it may cost you $30 to $40. So, consume some fine wine during your stay at Gatlinburg soon.
- Hiking and skating:- Statistics indicate that over 14 million people visited Gatlinburg in 2021. In other words, this town has become one of the USA's most visited winter vacation hotspots right now, particularly because of its amazing skiing, hiking, and ice-skating offers. You just need to travel for a few minutes to reach the Ober Ski Mountain from downtown Gatlinburg. Also, try winter hiking if you’re into this sporting activity. It’s all “fun and games” in Gatlinburg today!
In this article, you have learned how vacationing in Gatlinburg in winter isn't such a bad idea after all. So, you are now aware of the weather you may encounter there in December. Moreover, you know what to pack to stay warm and comfy while vacationing near the Great Smokys. We discussed some activities and festivals for tourists planning a Gatlinburg-bound getaway this winter season. It's chilled, snow-filled, and entertaining there this time of the year. So, take your family on this amazing journey to one of the most famous resort towns in America. Don't forget about whitewater rafting, one of the best activities Gatlinburg has to offer. Chart your trip cost-effectively and book a cabin online.