New research has revealed the best sustainable hotels in the world using Instagram data. The study, which was carried out by sustainable travel marketplace, Good Trip Marketplace, analysed more than 400,000 Instagram photos, and found that Azulik in Mexico, was the most popular hotel on the list, with nearly 45,000 Instagram posts.
Situated on the island of Tulum, Azulik’s villas are electricity free with amazing views of the jungle and sea. The Aria resort in Las Vegas took second placed on the list with 38,993 photos, while Soneva Fushi, a resort made up of beachfront and overwater villas in the Maldives, comes in at number three with 35,420 photos, closely followed by Hawaii’s Andaz Maui hotel (34,108).
In a top 10 dominated by beach-side and ocean view resorts, Soneva Kiri in Thailand was the fifth best sustainable hotel (26,267 photos), Bambu Indah in Bali was number six (15,026 photos), while The Brando in French Polynesia (11,666 photos) and Portugal’s Vila Vita Parc (11,232) took eighth and ninth places.
1 Hotel Brooklyn Bridge in New York was one of two city-based sustainable hotels to feature in the top 10, while the unique Fogo Island Inn in Canada finished off the list.
The world’s top 10 sustainable hotels, according to Instagram:
- Azulik, Tulum, Mexico (44,796 photos)
- Aria, Las Vegas, USA (38,993 photos)
- Soneva Fushi, Eydhafushi, Maldives (35,420 photos)
- Andaz Maui at Wailea, Hawaii, USA (34,108 photos)
- Soneva Kiri, Ko Kut, Thailand (26,267 photos)
- Bambu Indah, Bali, Indonesia (15,026 photos)
- 1 Hotel Brooklyn Bridge, New York, USA (13,581 photos)
- The Brando, French Polynesia (11,666 photos)
- Vila Vita Parc, Porches, Portugal (11,232 photos)
- Fogo Island Inn, Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada (9,747 photos)
Commenting on the research, Danny Sullivan, founder of Good Trip Marketplace, said: “Sustainability is going to be a major travel trend in 2022, so we thought it would be really interesting to find out where the best and most beautiful sustainable hotels and resorts in the world are. Some of the places in our top 10 are absolutely stunning, so we hope our research provides inspiration for travellers planning a holiday in the near future."